1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Someone got some 'splainin' to do... Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by army judge, Feb 10, 2016.

1. army judge

army judge Law Topic Starter Super Moderator

Jurisdiction:
    Florida
    The Lakeland Police Department is investigating the death of a shoplifter who died a short time after being detained.

According to investigators, Kenneth Wisham, 64, attempted to push a cart full of DVDs worth $380.74 out of the Walmart located on US Highway 98 N. early Sunday morning.

Wisham was confronted by employees who chased Wisham as he ran from the store. While running away, Wisham fell to the ground and was detained by the Walmart employees.

A short time later, those employees said Wisham stopped breathing and they began CPR.

He was rushed to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead several hours later.

On Wednesday, the Polk County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled his death a homicide. The autopsy revealed Wisham did not die as a result of a medical condition and no other details are being released at this time.

Detectives are currently looking over surveillance video.

I'm sure those employees knew, or should have known Walmart's "don't chase policy".

Detained Walmart shoplifter's death ruled homicide

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Warning to shoplifters. Shoplifting is now a capital crime and the sentence is death.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

That was on the TV news also.

4. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

This is exact reason why some retailers have a "no chase" or "hands off" policy.

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

6. martin.treon

martin.treon New Member

Hello, I have a question about the retail theft database. I saw your post on another thread from a couple years back saying people could pm you or email questions about specific companies on the database. I don't have pm rights at this point since I just joined the site, is it possible that I could get your email info? Thanks

7. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member