Auto Loans Sold my car to my sister and now she won't pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

My sister wasn't making her car payments and the bank took their property (the car) back, understandably so. I had a second car that she wanted to borrow. Not wanting to be liable if anything happened but feeling I had to help I decided it would be best if she bought the car from me. She agreed to buy the car from me for $2000 and she would make $100 a month payments until paid in full. I signed the title over to her and listed myself as lein holder on the title do to her history (yes I felt bad doing so). To date she has paid me $600 of the $2000 via direct deposit at my bank so I have record of that. Part of me says just give her the dang car and forget about it. The other part says her and her husband have the money they just choose to spend foolishly instead of pay their bills, so why let it go!

My sister wasn't making her car payments and the bank took their property (the car) back, understandably so. I had a second car that she wanted to borrow. Not wanting to be liable if anything happened but feeling I had to help I decided it would be best if she bought the car from me. She agreed to buy the car from me for $2000 and she would make $100 a month payments until paid in full. I signed the title over to her and listed myself as lein holder on the title do to her history (yes I felt bad doing so). To date she has paid me $600 of the $2000 via direct deposit at my bank so I have record of that. Part of me says just give her the dang car and forget about it. The other part says her and her husband have the money they just choose to spend foolishly instead of pay their bills, so why let it go!

If I were you, I'd let it go.

But, I'd never do another thing for her.

As far as legally, yes, you can sue her in small claims.

Yes, you'd probably prevail.

But, you wouldn't get money.

You'd get a judgment saying she owes you.

She's a deadbeat and has nothing, at least nothing you could get your hands on to satisfy the judgment.

And, who would want the car back after creatures likje these have used it?

I wouldn't.

I'm sure her hygiene and sanitary habits aren't on par with you!

No, I'd let it go.

But, I'd never do another thing to help this pair.

If you want satisfaction, I'd just tell them so.

I'd do that when I went to announce that I'm signing over the car to you as of this moment.

Then I'd tell her, we're through for a lousy $1,400, this time!!!

Besides, the upside for you is getting your name off anything this pair of deadbeats is associated with.

You never know what could happen and who might end up trying to sue you, too!!!

If you have a lien and loan schedule, repossess the car, when she falls behind. If you did not take all steps to prep yourself, you were half giving it to her anyway. You need to decide whether this was an act of charity or car sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back