Sold car to junk, now they're using same license plate?

L

lanena12

Jurisdiction
Texas
I sold my car to a 'junk', they got a picture of ID of the owner of the car (my dad) and it was under his name as well. I signed that I sold it, and I kept all the license plates. I just got in the mail toll tags from Houston (I'm in Dallas) and pictures of the same car with the same license plates!!

He said I didn't have to do anything or changing the title. What can I do? Is the car still mine or not? I am not sure if I have a copy of the signed papers.

He said I didn't have to do anything or changing the title.

Read any of the following resources and you'll see how many mistakes you made.

texas selling a vehicle at DuckDuckGo

Mistakes you could have easily avoided by going to the DMV's website.

Is the car still mine or not?

It's yours as far as the state is concerned.

What can I do?

Fill out and file the sale notification form with the DMV. That should prevent any further issues but won't help you with this one.

I am not sure if I have a copy of the signed papers.

If you don't that's another big mistake and you'll probably have to pay the tolls or get hit with the penalties.

Was your dad the legal owner of the car? If so, then how did you sell it?

I sold my car to a 'junk', they got a picture of ID of the owner of the car (my dad) and it was under his name as well. I signed that I sold it, and I kept all the license plates.

This is awfully confusing. For starters, I assume you meant to say that you sold the car to a person or business who buys junk cars for salvage value. Correct? You referred to this car as "my car," but then you told us that it isn't actually your car because your father was the owner. Was the car titled in your name or your father's name? If it was in your father's name, how could you have "sign[ed] that [you] sold it"? Did he sign off on the deal? Did whoever actually owned the car notify the Texas DMV regarding the sale? When did this transaction occur?

I kept all the license plates. I just got in the mail toll tags from Houston (I'm in Dallas) and pictures of the same car with the same license plates!

If you "kept all the license plates," how could this possibly have happened?

He said I didn't have to do anything or changing the title.

He who? Your father?

Is the car still mine or not?

Based on your post, it's not clear whether it ever was your car.

Was your dad the legal owner of the car? If so, then how did you sell it?
English is not my first language so I apologize if what I type is confusing to you.
The car has the title under my dad's name, I referred it to "mine" because I was the one driving it etc, but I understand how that can be confusing. So yes under the law it is his, how could I have signed that I sold it? Not sure, but 'I did'. He asked for my dad's ID that goes with the title so I sent him a picture of it. No one ever did notify the DMV, the transaction occurred in December of 2022.
I kept the one license plate I had, not sure how they got another one with the same info on it.

If you "kept all the license plates," how could this possibly have happened?

He who? Your father?

Based on your post, it's not clear whether it ever was your car.[/QUOTE]

English is not my first language so I apologize if what I type is confusing to you.
The car has the title under my dad's name, I referred it to "mine" because I was the one driving it etc, but I understand how that can be confusing. So yes under the law it is his, how could I have signed that I sold it? Not sure, but 'I did'. He asked for my dad's ID that goes with the title so I sent him a picture of it. No one ever did notify the DMV, the transaction occurred in December of 2022.
I kept the one license plate I had, not sure how they got another one with the same info on it.

Read any of the following resources and you'll see how many mistakes you made.

Mistakes you could have easily avoided by going to the DMV's website.

It's yours as far as the state is concerned.

Fill out and file the sale notification form with the DMV. That should prevent any further issues but won't help you with this one.

If you don't that's another big mistake and you'll probably have to pay the tolls or get hit with the penalties.

I suggest your father follow the link previously provided and notify the DMV of the sale and likewise notify the entity who sent the toll violation notice.

-Sold car title is under my dad's name
-My dad knew I was selling it
-Sent the business/junk a picture of my dad's ID
-Gave business/junk the title
-I sold it, and signed some papers which I don't have a copy of
-I kept the only license plate I had in the car and of the car
-Toll pictures show the car using the same license plate (? how)
-Never notified the DMV

Are there any photos of the vehicle the plate is attached to? You might have some luck if you can show the plate was stolen and improperly used on a vehicle sometime after you sold it, however, you were supposed to notify the state when you sold it and can be held responsible for fees until you do. If the vehicle was sold for salvage, it is possible that the purchaser was also supposed to notify the state. I'm not sure who is more responsible, but if you haven't notified the state yet, you certainly should do so.

Are there any photos of the vehicle the plate is attached to? You might have some luck if you can show the plate was stolen and improperly used on a vehicle sometime after you sold it, however, you were supposed to notify the state when you sold it and can be held responsible for fees until you do. If the vehicle was sold for salvage, it is possible that the purchaser was also supposed to notify the state. I'm not sure who is more responsible, but if you haven't notified the state yet, you certainly should do so.
Yes they had said we didn't have to do anything so we didn't and I had my mom as witness. I am on the phone with the DMV.

I do have pics of it with the license plates attached, should I do that? I'm not sure how they have the same exact ones?

Who is "they "? The buyer?
If so, you were told wrong. Regardless of what they told you, you have a responsibility to notify the DMV. I believe you're supposed to do it within 10 days or so.

I do have pics of it with the license plates attached, should I do that? I'm not sure how they have the same exact ones?

I was asking you if the plates were on a different vehicle. If the plates were on the correct vehicle when it went through the toll then you are probably stuck with the fee.
You could pursue the buyer in small claims to recover your loss, but it likely is not going to be worth the effort.

Back