Sold car a year ago, owner wont transfer title. Can i take it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achapman291

I sold a car year ago, and the owner never transferred the title, claiming that it was not worth it because the car broke down shortly after the sale. So I believe the car is technically in my name and I can be stuck with all of the parking tickets that the car is getting because it has been sitting parked illegally. Can I just get the car towed to my house and take possession back since the title was never transferred and there is no bill of sale?

No. It is not your car anymore.

You were supposed to notify your department of vehicles when you sold the car to release you of loyalty.

Actually, OH does not have such a notification procedure. You should have made a copy of the back portion of the title, completed and notarized. Your failure to do so has you in a bind now because you cannot prove the sale. The parking tickets will most assuredly be coming to you. I suggest you make arrangements to buy the car back. Otherwise, see if the locality where it is parked and the tow company they use will arrange to have it removed for lack of registration and the vehicle retitled by the tow company for storage fees only.

Last edited:
Ohio, car sale between private citizens:

If you're selling your car to someone you'll need to fill out the back of the title form.
Wait to do so until the vehicle has been sold.
Make sure you record the sales price and odometer reading.
then sign your name as listed on the title, and have your signature notarized.
It's a good idea to make a copy of the assigned title for your records.

DID YOU DO THOSE THINGS?

If you buy a car from someone you complete the information on the title form.
Your signature must be witnessed by a Notary Public, and notarized.
Remember, as the buyer you're responsible for obtaining the title from the seller.

Your Ohio BMV will provide you THE SELLER a copy of the Ohio state title transfer application to assist in properly conveying title.

If you have a copy of the purchase order or bill of sale, that might be accepted by the authority issuing the parking citations to see that the rightful owner gets the bill for the parking citations.

If they accept such proof, it'll only be as a courtesy, because the name on title, until properly transferred is also on the hook for the tickets.

Whatever you do, don't do nothing.
If the tickets aren't dismissed or paid, the name on title will eventually lose his or her license.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back