Sociopathic cousin

Nick35

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Greetings all!

six months ago we had a cousin who said she had cancer. Unbeknownst to is, she is a sociopath.

She told us she had cancer, and my mom, being a caring compassionate family person, allowed her to live with us. My father agreed since he card about any family member and she stayed with us for six months.

things would go up and down between her and my mom. Jessica's friends Selena and mike, would constantly text my mom saying that she isn't doing enough and absolutely ridicule her to no end. Jessica would never communicate anything about her medical issues, and it got to the point where my mom had another mental breakdown and had to go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks where they changed up all her medications and did 6 weeks of shock therapy on her. My mom has clinical depression and anxiety and is bipolar but her old meds did just a fine job helping her with these issues. After this, they talked it out and things were fine for awhile until recently where my mom got so fed up and texted mike that they were going to kick Jessica out.

mike sent these texts to Jessica and she apparently tried to overdose and broke her arm.

We finally decided to reach out to her parents, who she was adamant that we never reach out to because she said they had a horrible relationship but apparently Jess pulled the same things with them that she did with us.

we found out that mike and Selena was just Jessica texting from an application that gives you a VOIP number so you can text people from "different numbers".

she also messaged my dad with fake photoshopped documents from the veteran hospital, basically claiming to be a military doctor (different doctors on different occasions) which seems like impersonation.

since we kicked her out, we've spent $500 on new locks, and security cameras, and I'm getting my FOID card to purchase a firearm for protection.
I'm the aftermath, she impersonated military officials and photoshopped official documents, manipulated my mother and drove her to the point where she had to go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks, which also gave us some medical bills, and lied about having cancer. Not to mention by Driving my mom to the point where she had to go to a mental hospital they had to change all of her medications which had a lot of implications on her mental health since she was with drawling from the old stuff and is now on new stuff and she had electric shock therapy which she probably didn't even needed if Jess hadn't been manipulating her and making her feel so bad. I remember many night where my mom would be crying and crying to no end blaming herself, and Jess knew that she would do this and used her weakness against her.

What legal action can we take? I would love to sue her for some money to compensate and teach her a lesson. Is this possible?

What legal action can we take? I would love to sue her for some money to compensate and teach her a lesson. Is this possible?

You can sue her, but you have nothing for which any of you could be compensated.

She was allowed to stay at your parents' home.

The homeowners or renters can evict the lunatic.

If the jackball has already vacated the residence, thank goodness she's gone.

Don't ever allow her back into the home.

Move on with your lives, and NEVER, EVER allow anyone (even someone who is NOT a lunatic) to reside in your home.

Your home is not a cheap "no tell motel", it is your safe place.

Don't allow anyone to stay overnight. if you do, it is at your peril.

Even IF you had some primary legal premise to sue the lunatic for, she's a deadbeat, lunatic.

You can't squeeze money out of a deadbeat, so your best play is to stay as far away as you can from a deadbeat.

I have a couple deadbeats in the branches of our family tree.

I keep my distance from them, because I value my assets, and wish to retain them for as long as I can.

Learn to say whenever anyone asks you for something.

No is the most powerful two letter word in the English vocabulary.

Use it, use it often, and you'll see how simple and happy your life can be!!!!

Greetings all!

six months ago we had a cousin who said she had cancer. Unbeknownst to is, she is a sociopath.

She told us she had cancer, and my mom, being a caring compassionate family person, allowed her to live with us. My father agreed since he card about any family member and she stayed with us for six months.

things would go up and down between her and my mom. Jessica's friends Selena and mike, would constantly text my mom saying that she isn't doing enough and absolutely ridicule her to no end. Jessica would never communicate anything about her medical issues, and it got to the point where my mom had another mental breakdown and had to go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks where they changed up all her medications and did 6 weeks of shock therapy on her. My mom has clinical depression and anxiety and is bipolar but her old meds did just a fine job helping her with these issues. After this, they talked it out and things were fine for awhile until recently where my mom got so fed up and texted mike that they were going to kick Jessica out.

mike sent these texts to Jessica and she apparently tried to overdose and broke her arm.

We finally decided to reach out to her parents, who she was adamant that we never reach out to because she said they had a horrible relationship but apparently Jess pulled the same things with them that she did with us.

we found out that mike and Selena was just Jessica texting from an application that gives you a VOIP number so you can text people from "different numbers".

she also messaged my dad with fake photoshopped documents from the veteran hospital, basically claiming to be a military doctor (different doctors on different occasions) which seems like impersonation.

since we kicked her out, we've spent $500 on new locks, and security cameras, and I'm getting my FOID card to purchase a firearm for protection.
I'm the aftermath, she impersonated military officials and photoshopped official documents, manipulated my mother and drove her to the point where she had to go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks, which also gave us some medical bills, and lied about having cancer. Not to mention by Driving my mom to the point where she had to go to a mental hospital they had to change all of her medications which had a lot of implications on her mental health since she was with drawling from the old stuff and is now on new stuff and she had electric shock therapy which she probably didn't even needed if Jess hadn't been manipulating her and making her feel so bad. I remember many night where my mom would be crying and crying to no end blaming herself, and Jess knew that she would do this and used her weakness against her.

How do you know she is a "sociopath"? Did you speak, in person, with a Psychiatrist that did an in-depth evaluation on her? Or are you just using that term for your badly behaved cousin?

Did you go to the police with your proof and file a criminal complaint? Did your family request a RO?

How do you know she is a "sociopath"? Did you speak, in person, with a Psychiatrist that did an in-depth evaluation on her? Or are you just using that term for your badly behaved cousin?

Did you go to the police with your proof and file a criminal complaint? Did your family request a RO?
You can sue her, but you have nothing for which any of you could be compensated.

She was allowed to stay at your parents' home.

The homeowners or renters can evict the lunatic.

If the jackball has already vacated the residence, thank goodness she's gone.

Don't ever allow her back into the home.

Move on with your lives, and NEVER, EVER allow anyone (even someone who is NOT a lunatic) to reside in your home.

Your home is not a cheap "no tell motel", it is your safe place.

Don't allow anyone to stay overnight. if you do, it is at your peril.

Even IF you had some primary legal premise to sue the lunatic for, she's a deadbeat, lunatic.

You can't squeeze money out of a deadbeat, so your bets play is to stay as far away as you can from a deadbeat.

I have a couple deadbeats in the branches of our family tree.

I keep my distance from them, because I value my assets, and wish to retain them for as long as I can.

Learn to say whenever anyone asks you for something.

No is the most powerful two letter word in the English vocabulary.

Use it, use it often, and you'll see how simple and happy your life can be!!!!

A few things,

she does have a decent amount of money. She is currently getting a divorce.

she was discharged from the military for being a sociopath after a few incidents

she was allowed to stay in our home because she told us she had cancer, which was a lie, and a clear manipulation tactic.

she is the reason my mom went to the mental hospital for four weeks due to her mental health (which she already had her problems) seriously declining due to the tactics that Jess used. This is had serious implications on my mom and has emotionally damaged her and she'll never trust anyone again. It seems kinda like Jess was intentionally exploiting her weaknesses and making sure to push her over the edge, but as soon as she did that she backed off.

she also messaged us claiming to be military doctors and photoshopped military documents and put a lot of fake bs in it.

we also don't know if she has taken our social security numbers or personal information. We now have lifelock and lots of monitoring, as well as a whitelist first our WiFi network and new passwords for everything.

it is very clear she was manipulating us, and we can easily prove that. We have every text message from every number she's sent and it has caused quite a toll on our family, especially my mom who is very mentally vunerable

my dad travels for a living and he and my mom are going to go file a police report when he comes back this weekend

Again...How did you come by the information she was a sociopath as I'm sure her CO didn't call and give you her information. Her psychiatric information is privileged ...so how did you come by it?

A few things,

she does have a decent amount of money. She is currently getting a divorce.

she was discharged from the military for being a sociopath after a few incidents

she was allowed to stay in our home because she told us she had cancer, which was a lie, and a clear manipulation tactic.

she is the reason my mom went to the mental hospital for four weeks due to her mental health (which she already had her problems) seriously declining due to the tactics that Jess used. This is had serious implications on my mom and has emotionally damaged her and she'll never trust anyone again. It seems kinda like Jess was intentionally exploiting her weaknesses and making sure to push her over the edge, but as soon as she did that she backed off.

she also messaged us claiming to be military doctors and photoshopped military documents and put a lot of fake bs in it.

we also don't know if she has taken our social security numbers or personal information. We now have lifelock and lots of monitoring, as well as a whitelist first our WiFi network and new passwords for everything.

it is very clear she was manipulating us, and we can easily prove that. We have every text message from every number she's sent and it has caused quite a toll on our family, especially my mom who is very mentally vunerable

my dad travels for a living and he and my mom are going to go file a police report when he comes back this weekend

No need to REPEAT yourself.

What I needed to know, I responded to above.

Neither of us can predict what will occur because the lunatic was allowed to live with you.

I suggest you maintain your distance from all lunatics.

Never listen to sob stories, just excuse yourself.

When I begin to hear the first few words of a sob story, I counter with, "I will pray for you. I suggest you pray for yourself. I pray for 72 hours alone. You must also pray for 72 ours silently and alone. Gotta start praying now, goodbye."

I also use the excuse me, I am suffering from severe gastric distress.
I can't talk until this event subsides.

You might develop more clever methods, but end result to shoo the beggar away, or just say NO before the beggar can speak the lie to extract your money from your hands to the beggar's clutches.

things would go up and down between her and my mom. Jessica's friends Selena and mike, would constantly text my mom saying that she isn't doing enough and absolutely ridicule her to no end.

First of all, in the first couple paragraphs of your post, you didn't mention any names. You referred to your (female) cousin, your mother and your father. Now, all of a sudden, you're dropping names on us without being clear about who's who. Who are Jessica, Selena and Mike? Second, when you say "she isn't doing enough," who is "she," and what isn't she doing enough of?

we kicked her out

We? It's not clear what this has to do with you.

I'm the aftermath

Are you really?

What legal action can we take?

Your post is very poorly written, so it's not really clear what happened, but it sounds like your parents allowed your cousin to live with them. They have since kicked your cousin out. Apparently the whole situation was very stressful, and that caused problems for your mother. It's not even remotely clear from your post whether your cousin did anything legally wrongful, but your mother and father are free to consult with a local attorney about what happened.

P.S. Whether your cousin is or isn't a sociopath and how you know about it isn't the slightest bit relevant, so I suggest you ignore the badgering in that regard.

P.S. Whether your cousin is or isn't a sociopath and how you know about it isn't the slightest bit relevant, so I suggest you ignore the badgering in that regard.
The OP ought not be saying such things about another person, generally speaking. It's important, legally speaking, that the OP understand that.

The OP ought not be saying such things about another person, generally speaking. It's important, legally speaking, that the OP understand that.

If one who shares that opinion felt that way, then that message could have been communicated, simply, from the start.

If one who shares that opinion felt that way, then that message could have been communicated, simply, from the start.
I agree that it COULD have been, but I don't agree that it MUST have been, or even SHOULD have been.

I agree that it COULD have been, but I don't agree that it MUST have been, or even SHOULD have been.
I will make it very clear now. OP should be very careful labeling someone a sociopath when he has no idea if that person is, in fact, a sociopath. Just because the person's (estranged) mother told OP that , doesn't make it true. Not nice cousin could sue OP for defamation if she were to become aware of what OP is calling her.

For the record I was trying to find out how OP came by "his knowledge" of not nice cousins psychiatric diagnostic history. As you can see it required a little dental work to get that information.

I will make it very clear now. OP should be very careful labeling someone a sociopath when he has no idea if that person is, in fact, a sociopath. Just because the person's (estranged) mother told OP that , doesn't make it true. Not nice cousin could sue OP for defamation if she were to become aware of what OP is calling her.

For the record I was trying to find out how OP came by "his knowledge" of not nice cousins psychiatric diagnostic history. As you can see it required a little dental work to get that information.

Here's the TLDR:

jessica claims to have cancer
Parents (and me) all feel bad and let her live with us
Jessica has a friend named Selena and mike who text my mom about her situation, being her friends they want to help Jessica out too.

jessica and mike consistently ridicule my mom for not taking care of Jessica well enough.

Jessica never communicates anything so we aren't to blame for that. We can't help her if she doesn't communicate

This ridiculing and harassment (it is harassment mike and Selena were relentless in their pursuit to ridicule my mom)

mom has mental breakdown
Mom goes to mental hospital for 4 weeks and has all her meds changed up as well as shock therapy (my mother already had had depression and was bipolar most of her life so she can be easily guilted into things)

Things calm down for awhile

then things heat up a month after my mom got back from the hospital

we finally kick Jess out, only to find that her friends "Selena and mike" aren't real. Jessica was just texting my mom the whole time (6 months) with a VOIP(virtual phone number) app and trying to manipulate her, as well as messaging us from VOIP numbers claiming to be military doctors on multiple occasions. She also sent over photoshopped medical documents to make it seem legit.

Jessica never had cancer

throughout all of this situation, it was peppered with random "medical problems". Jess would claim that she had a heart attack ( multiple times) and was at the hospital, and said she had ACL surgery or "passed out while driving" etc.... and all of it was a lie.

we kicked her out, changed all the passwords, locks, got a ring doorbell, and lifelock because we don't know if she was going through our personal information such as social security numbers etc...

I can assure you someone who would lie about having cancer and do what she did qualifies as a sociopath, and her parents confirmed that she was indeed medically discharged from the military for being a sociopath. She tried to do the same thing to one of her friends in the military that she did to us, and the military police came and separated them and that's when Jess has a psyc evaluation and got discharged.

We don't have papers in our hands that say that Jess is a sociopath, but for all intents and purposes, let's assume that she is a sociopath. I'm pretty knowledgeable in psychology and she definitely fits the bill.

assuming everything here is true, what legal action can we take. I can't prove to any of you that it is true, but when the court date comes, we'll have a plethora of evidence.

We don't have papers in our hands, but let's assume that she is a sociopath. I'm pretty knowledgeable in psychology and she definitely fits the bill.

Okay, I wish all of you the very best.

Thanks for sharing another cool, internet story.

That's it?
Just assume everything is true, is there any legal action we can take?
Legal actions:

*Monitor your credit for identity theft.
*You could sue...but this is unlikely to get you anything. And if she is as bad as you say she is, a law suit may piss her off and God know what she may do.
*Go to court and see if you can get a RO. Although if she isn't currently bothering you, you won't be granted one.

Unfortunately not all bad things that people do to us have a legal recourse. Much of what your mother and your family experienced could have been avoided had you just kicked her out at the first sign of bad behavior.

Legal actions:

*Monitor your credit for identity theft.
*You could sue...but this is unlikely to get you anything. And if she is as bad as you say she is, a law suit may piss her off and God know what she may do.
*Go to court and see if you can get a RO. Although if she isn't currently bothering you, you won't be granted one.

Unfortunately not all bad things that people do to us have a legal recourse. Much of what your mother and your family experienced could have been avoided had you just kicked her out at the first sign of bad behavior.

we just want to make sure she gets what she deserves. Having a grandmother who died of cancer, we take this stuff very seriously and it is pathetic that she would blatantly lie about it. She really took a toll on my mothers mental health and she knowingly manipulated her and made her go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks where they changed her meds and gave her electric shock therapy, which was unnecessary and would not have happened if Jess wasn't intentionally doing this stuff to her. Withdrawing from her old meds and getting used to the new stuff definitely put a toll on the entire family since she was on a lot of meds and the withdraw was very bad.

we just want to make sure she gets what she deserves. Having a grandmother who died of cancer, we take this stuff very seriously and it is pathetic that she would blatantly lie about it. She really took a toll on my mothers mental health and she knowingly manipulated her and made her go to the mental hospital for 4 weeks where they changed her meds and gave her electric shock therapy, which was unnecessary and would not have happened if Jess wasn't intentionally doing this stuff to her. Withdrawing from her old meds and getting used to the new stuff definitely put a toll on the entire family since she was on a lot of meds and the withdraw was very bad.
I get that she is a nasty person...but you all share some of the responsibility here as well. You watched as this woman behaved badly toward your mother and allowed her to stay...even after your mother ended up in a psych ward for a month.

I strongly suggest you learn from this experience and move on. I do wish your mother well and hope she is doing better.

Just your mention of getting a gun is enough to lock your butt up if by chance you did have to use it against her. Most people don't have the basic understanding of gun laws to protect themselves in the event of having to use the firearm. You have legal routes that should be taken against her. Getting a restraining order against her.

Back