Smaller Lot Size

B

Burned85

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi,

We are first time buyers and decided to build in a brand new community. The MLS listed one of the inventory homes as 4300 sq with lot size .25 acres. We visited the model home which was same as the house being built, we looked at the lot which contained the model home and made sure our lot was going to be much bigger, and the seller's agent told us our lot would be bigger. My husband did the first walk through this week after paying our earners fee and signing the contract. He noticed the lot was much smaller than we thought it would be. We went back to the contract and realized that they listed the lot on there as 7400 sq ft. When we called the agent to find out what was going on, she said the MLS usually has errors and it was a mistake and would be corrected. When we pulled the new MLS, the lot was now listed at 6500 sq ft. The house is still being constructed and will be ready in September. The size of the lot is a big deal to us, so at this point are we able to get out of the contract, renegotiate or get a lawyer involved.

If I understand you correctly YOUR contract is listed at 7400 sq ft. If that is correct then that is what you are owed. The MLS doesn't really matter. You will probably need a lawyer to get it resolved. With the house being almost done I imagine it will get complicated.

My guess is that it isn't the contract that shows the lot size but the listing which means it's less likely that the OP will get out of the contract.

Regardless, I do agree with the need to have a lawyer examine the contract and advise of options.

The size of the lot is a big deal to us, so at this point are we able to get out of the contract, renegotiate or get a lawyer involved.

Never rely on a real estate agent to do anything but take as much from you as you are gullible enough to give.

Anytime you buy a home, you should retain an attorney to assist you.

Its well worth the $2,500, $5,000 when you're buying something for $400 Grand or more, or even a home for $150K.

A real estate agent attended the same classes as did the used car salesperson.

A real estate agent is simply a salesperson, who has taken a few classes about property transactions.

Before you do anything further about this purchase, take every piece of paper to your lawyer, or hire one.

Back