Small claims from one state to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendo927

Over a year ago I had given my "friend" a loan for 400+ western union fees which were rediculous by the way (45) bucks for overnight. He lives in Colorado and I live in Rhode Island. He was supposed to fix his car with it and they money I let him borrow was actually from a personal loan that I had taken out. ( yea im dumb I know at least I admit it ). Now it has been a year and I have not seen a dime and I have made numerous attempts to ask for some sort of payment, any type of payment even 20 bucks a month and he claims that he is not working and is disabled.

Now if I sue him in small claims court in Rhode Island and win( which I will, I have recipts(yea i cant spell so sue me)), how does that apply to Colorado? Can I have a judge award me the ability to garnish his wages in Colorado? I don't really want to collect interest but how much could I collect? Any help I thank you in advance.

Now if I sue him in small claims court in Rhode Island and win( which I will, I have recipts(yea i cant spell so sue me)), how does that apply to Colorado? Can I have a judge award me the ability to garnish his wages in Colorado? I don't really want to collect interest but how much could I collect?

It doesn't, no, and you won't be able to collect.

How about a lein so he will have to pay me in order to buy a house?

GENERALLY (and I am not sure about Colorado), a small claims judgment cannot be a lien on real estate.

thats rough...to file a claim in Colorado do I have to physically be there?

seniorjudge I like the way this site is set up and I dont mind helping answer some credit questions even know I am not a lawyer, I have a lot of experience dealing with credit issues because I was in mortgage business for a very long time.

thats rough...to file a claim in Colorado do I have to physically be there?

Yes.

seniorjudge I like the way this site is set up and I dont mind helping answer some credit questions even know I am not a lawyer, I have a lot of experience dealing with credit issues because I was in mortgage business for a very long time.

Welcome aboard!

Is there anything else I can try to get my money back? And is there a limit of statutations for small claims?

Is there anything else I can try to get my money back? And is there a limit of statutations for small claims?

To save you a trip to Col., you might want to look into this: Get your judgement in our state, ask for court costs. Contact the Clerk of court in CO where your "friend" lives, and file your judgement as a "Foriegn Judgement" in CO. This will domesticate your R.I. judgement in the other state. Then start collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back