SLUMLORD please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

metixy

I recently helped landlord clean out the apartment he lived in (within the building i live in) and he had roaches horribly bad in his apartment. Well now I have roaches as does several neighbors in the building, my apartment is always CLEAN, my girlfriend is borderline OCD with cleaning so I know they are not here because my home is dirty. Is he the one responsible for the extermination? Several of us have told him about the bug problem but he says he hasnt seen any of them, when thats a lie because he went to go get a fogger for the nasty apartment I helped him clean. ANy info will be appreciated as I am not sure of tenent/landlord responsiblities. We also have spider problems and he wont do anything. my son has been bit twice in last week because he refuses to do anything he response is always either i havent seen any or im broke. help???!!!!

With regard to roaches, you'll have to ask them. :) But seriously, when you clean out one apartment they will travel to another. Your landlord is probably responsible to exterminate the building and make sure that it is reasonably safe for people to live. Yes, these are requirements of your landlord.

I found this on the City of Chicago Web Site - Landlord Tenant Rights and Obligations

This service request is used to request literature regarding the City's Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance. Landlords and tenants may also wish to call (312) 742-RENT (7368), the Chicago Rents Right hotline. Tenants may also call (773) 292-4988 to seek assistance from the Metropolitan Tenants Organization, which provides service on behalf of the DCD.

Request literature about the ordinance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back