Repairs, Maintenance Slumlord gives 60 day notice to vacate after I begged him for months to make repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilmu2012

Having a hard time deciding what to do, if I should sue or how much I should be suing for. Here's the situation... My brother who has a disability has been working for this company 20+ years. His boss has properties but he could not afford to rent on his own. I was looking for a roommate because I was expecting and would be out of work for a while. We signed a lease with his boss and moved in a two bedroom apartment. The first year was not that bad except he was very slow to make repairs but I was patient because he was some what patient when I was late in the rent while out on maternity. My son got jaundice a few day after he was born and we had to be admitted back to the hospital. I told my landlord I would bring rent as soon as we were release he would not stop calling my phone so I had to borrow my grandparents car leave my child and take him his money more recently I wrote letters asking him to repair major problems in my apartment an he kept sayin ok I'll fix it but never did. I with held rent for two months in an attempt to get him to fix things before singing my third year lease. He tells me for a month ill be there to fix it and two days before my lease is up he tells me sorry not renewing your lease get out. So then a week later he says my brother can stay and get another roommate but I have to leave along with my 21 month old son. Then he proceeds to tell me he found a roommate for my brother who will be moving in before my 60 days is up. I have contacted a lawyer who I will be seeing in a few days, by the way the other guy is now living in the room with my brother and I am staying with my sister in law my 60 days isn't up until dec 1 2012 but I feel so uncomfortable being there. Also when he did have things fixed he would not give me any notice and gave keys to the repair men to let themselves in, three occasions I have walked in to my apartment and guys are in there fixing things (this is more recent after I called the inspector... After receiving my 60 day notice). This is the majority but he has done other little sneaky things, leaving multiple voice mail and text messages harrasing me. What should I do?!!

Last edited:
You should find suitable accommodations and secure same.

You can sue anyone for anything.

Be advised, even if you are successful, a case such as this isn't going to even be docketed before six to eight weeks; if you're lucky.

Add in motions and hearings, you'll be lucky if this is resolved before next spring.

In the meantime, life goes on, doesn't it?

See the lawyer, follow the advice received, and good luck.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Put on your big girl panties and grow up.

You were entitled to stay for the 60 days and chose to move out early. That is not the landlords fault. Nor is it the landlords fault you are arbitrarily decided how you would pay rent. So your brother is going to have a new roommate and let the roommate stay in his room temporarily until you left. Is there something in your lease saying your brother is not permitted to have company? Lets face it, as you appear to be the deadbeat in the situation, no one really cares if what they do makes you happy, they just care that it meets the legal requirements. You have not provided any info to suggest it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back