Slip and Fall Car Accident

nhuffman4833

Jurisdiction
Washington
I was driving along a residential street and turning left into a grocery store, early in the morning, still dark.

I started my turn and didn't see a lady walking across the driveway till my headlights shone on her. I stopped abruptly about 10-15 feet from her. She got scared and stumbled and fell on her backside. She was an older lady, probably 70-80. I was so far from her I had room to pull off on the shoulder without even touching the driveway entrance. She said she had back pain and went home after collecting my info.

Am I liable for any medical treatment she gets?

I was driving along a residential street and turning left into a grocery store, early in the morning, still dark.

I started my turn and didn't see a lady walking across the driveway till my headlights shone on her. I stopped abruptly about 10-15 feet from her. She got scared and stumbled and fell on her backside. She was an older lady, probably 70-80. I was so far from her I had room to pull off on the shoulder without even touching the driveway entrance. She said she had back pain and went home after collecting my info.

Am I liable for any medical treatment she gets?

Were you wearing a monster mask? of course you are, Now let your insurance company handle it.

I tend to agree. Grocery stores have lighted parking lots when they are open. You should have slowed down or stopped to check for potential pedestrians crossing the driveway.

She's probably called your insurance company already so you might as well call it in yourself.

The OP *must* report it to his insurance company or risk not being covered.

I agree that you should notify your insurance of what happened so they can be prepared if she tries to make a claim.

By your description, I disagree that you have any fault here.
Find out if the grocery store or any other business has video. If you stopped short as you describe then her slip and fall is her own fault.

She . . . collect[ed] my info.

I do not have any of her info.

Sigh....

I agree with those who have told you that you need to make a report to your auto liability carrier. I think it unlikely that your insurer will accept liability and pay a claim. I think it unlikely that the woman will sue you. If she does sue you, I think it unlikely that she'll win. But you never know.

Back