Slander or Libel

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Georgia. If I live in a new house in a new neighborhood and the builders are still building other homes there and I put a "buyer beware" sign in my yard, can I be brought up on slander or libel charges? I mention no names, no parties, no reason why, only "buyer beware" written on a sign. I don't talk to perspective buyers or exert my opinions on others, just a sign in the yard. example if I did this for a reason of personal dissatisfaction with the builder.

Georgia. If I live in a new house in a new neighborhood and the builders are still building other homes there and I put a "buyer beware" sign in my yard, can I be brought up on slander or libel charges? I mention no names, no parties, no reason why, only "buyer beware" written on a sign. I don't talk to perspective buyers or exert my opinions on others, just a sign in the yard. example if I did this for a reason of personal dissatisfaction with the builder.

Slander- oral defamation
Liable- written defamation

Elements for defamation:
1. It must be about the plaintiff
2. It must be presented as a fact and not be true
3. A party other then the plaintiff must hear/read the statement.

If your sign does not specifically attack a named party, is not defamatory, and is not presented as a fact- you are not liable for defamation. Post all the signs you want, it is your property. You have the right to use and enjoy it as you please.

In order to win a case for slander or libel, they must be able to prove that what is being said or written is false, and they must prove damages.

They cannot sue someone for having an opinion.

If you are not happy with the builder, you should be able to voice your opinion as you please.

Thanks for the responses, I thought they would try to say the sign scared potential buyers away and that caused them damage somehow. Thanks again!

It's a decade old already, but my rusty brain remembered this story:
New York Attorney Aaron Lichtman doesn't like the chicken restaurant in his building - their sign obscures the sign for his legal practice, and they won't do anything about it, and constant odors from their cooking bother him. So he put up another, hand-lettered, sign in his window right above the restaurant: "BAD FOOD". Kenny Rogers Roasters wasn't amused, and sued Lichtman for $2 million, claiming the sign was a "malicious falsehood." But the state Supreme Court has thrown the suit out, saying the lawyer has a First Amendment right to make his opinion known. Maybe, notes Justice Charles Ramos, the restaurant would have a better case if Lichtman were to stand outside the restaurant and "scream at customers that they would suffer from abdominal distention after eating Roasters' food."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back