Slander/ harassment case, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

I currently hold office as city Mayor for a class 3 city in the state of Pennsylvania. Recently there was an attack against myself and my council alleging corruption and also pointing out that I was "dysfunctional". I tried searching for the owner of the domain godaddy.com but it is registered as a fictious name. On the front page of the web site there is a link named "hit list" that leads to a disparaging article about myself. The implication of this word/line alone on top of the slander seems there is potential to pursue legal remedies. Can anyone offer advice or suggestions to the above referenced problem...Thank you.

The link to the above referenced web site is stopNEPAcorruption.org The story I am speking about is "The Night - Mayor Before Christmas" (aka take back pittston) The story makes direct references to myself and the link on the first page "hitlist" has many connotations...

Maybe you should contact the ACLU?
You're a public figure. Unless there's actual malice there's not much you can do.
I believe this issue was addressed the first time they amended the US Constitution (1st Amendment??). If this is not sufficient, check out New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 280 (1964). The Court defined actual malice as knowledge that the defamatory statement was false or made with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not.

Also, check out Slander v. Libel, Websters (2008)

I am certain that if you were to provide concrete proof that the opinions are factually incorrect, then you can contact the moderator of the site and request that a retraction be published. This will be difficult however because they are opinions and contain no factual allegations.

All in all, welcome to holding a public office. From the moment you decided to run, you and your actions are under the public microscope. If you can not handle the heat, i believe the phrase is 'get out of the kitchen'

Thank you for responding

Thank you Mr. Mavison for responding. I understand the 1st ammendement, I have been told it deals with freedom of speech but along the way there have been ammendments and additions and subtractions and revisions, so I'm sorry I don't have the mental prowess to keep up with the law, I am just asking for advice from those who do understand it more than a neophyte like myself does. Perhaps if my father were as inclined as I was I wouldn't be posting this question. I guess the heat doesn't bother him as much as it bothers me now that my name was mentioned....Once again, any more opinions or advice from yourself or any other board member would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

I guess i'm not protected here either

Well, it seems my postings on here have ended up on the stopNEPAcorruption.org page. So obviously some one making these searches, postings, etc. at 3:41am has either a sleeping disorder or just alot of contempt toward my father. This all began as a curious legal inquiry on my part. My father has a different notion about opinions than I have, you know, everybody has one. So this stuff doesn't interest him. I am on the other hand attempting to make things happen for myself, leaving the past in the past, and moving forward. When I attend school or go to work I just have to wonder who else is reading this material. I also have to wonder if the $17,000 I am investing in education will be wasted because of a lack of respect from my classmates and piers and the thought I am only gaining the education for corrupt or illegal purposes, Kevin Mitnick made a career out of it...What prevents me from being catagorized with him?

So, there is anguish, there is consternation on my part, but most of all there is now uncertaintly. Will I wak into work and get a notice that I am not needed anymore? Will one of the more brighter kids in my class stop giving me advice because I will use it for black hat purposes? I guess these questions will have to be answered not by time but in fiat....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back