Slander by former employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs3476

I am a sales rep for a firm. My previous employer, which is a competitor of my current employer, called my bosses boss and said that I was saying negative things in the market about their company. None of this is true and my belief is that they have simply assumed I have been bad mouthing them since they have lost a couple of accounts to my current firm. Naturally this has a negative affect on my new employers perception of me. My question is should I pursue a slander case against my former employer?

You'll need to discuss that with an attorney but bear in mind that the burden of proof will be on you to prove (a) that your former employer lied or was negliglent in what they said, (b) that such lies were broadcast to an "audience," and (c) that you have suffered damages as a result.

If your former employer had reason to believe you said negative things about them (even if they were mistaken), then all that happened is that they called your new boss and complained which was their right to do. That is not slander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back