Sister is a horrible mother

A

Alyssa_sanchez

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My nephew/god child was born July 4th 2014 into a broken home, my sister got pregnant on "accident" right after her boyfriend left her for someone else. If you know her like I do, I think she did it to keep him in her life. She now lives with me and my mother, I am 20 she is 26. She didn't graduate, no lisence, no car, no job, pops pills, does not play with her child and only yells at him, she has no patience with him, he has eczema bad and she does nothing to help it she just gave that up, she sleeps all day, she will keep him locked in their room just so she can sleep instead of getting up and feeding him. His dad isn't in his life. And it breaks my heart, it hit me hard when he came to me and said "Aunt" I said "What?" He said "Mama mean" I have tried everything to talking to her and threating her to call cps for her to become a better mother and nothing has worked! He has a piggy bank at the baby shower were everyone puts money in, my mom found it in her room empty, I now have it in my room and I have been saving for him. To find it empty again! I really don't know what to do at this point! I don't trust her enough to kick them out, I don't trust her with him. I play with him, feed him, buy him clothes. He won't be took care of if it wasn't for me. Any advise if worth it.

You're probably doing about all that can be done right now. You can't force someone to be a good mother. What about your mother? Is she helping you with him?

Everyone is right you can call CPS and stop enabling her. I also see no real legal option for you other than CPS. This is a parenting issue (for all of you) and perhaps a parenting forum might offer solutions yo have not thought of or tried. In my signature is a link to such a forum (hosted by this site) where you can discuss your concerns and options with other parents, relatives, friends etc who may gone through similar situations.

Agree that if he is being abused or neglected, please contact CPS if you want to help the child. That is your best bet.

Back