Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Sister In Law used deceased mother's credit card after her death

asmooch22

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My sister-in-law was the POA for my mother-in-law and spent a huge amount of her money before the woman died. AFTER she died she continued for over 2 months to use the credit card to buy inventory for a business she owns as well as plane tickets!! American Express settled the account with the estate for 50% of what was owed, but i am wondering if we have legal recourse with her spending the money on a credit card after my mother in law was dead.

My sister-in-law was the POA for my mother-in-law and spent a huge amount of her money before the woman died. AFTER she died she continued for over 2 months to use the credit card to buy inventory for a business she owns as well as plane tickets!! American Express settled the account with the estate for 50% of what was owed, but i am wondering if we have legal recourse with her spending the money on a credit card after my mother in law was dead.

You may have recourse, but the estate of the deceased might also have recourse.

The problem usually boils down to, the bad actor is often bereft of funds, having long ago, or very rapidly, squandered any ill gotten gains.

Back