Breaking a Lease Sink hole

laren

Sinkhole appeared on the 9th of May we did not realize how unsafe they are. We contacted the owners on the same day they did nothing. Contacted state agencies for help they said its not their problem its landlords. Contacted landlord again on the 12th to inform of how dangerous it is they said they would get on it. Still nothing. Contacted news station on 15th they came out to broadcast it. Landlord calls on 16th to say they will have a sand company come out and fix. I am concerned about how unstable the home is. Can i leave this property without being faced with legal issues from landlord? I am the renter. Juat renewed lease in April. What are my options? I have 2 kids one of which room is in the basement. I am stressed. PLEASE HELP

Sinkhole appeared on the 9th of May we did not realize how unsafe they are. We contacted the owners on the same day they did nothing. Contacted state agencies for help they said its not their problem its landlords. Contacted landlord again on the 12th to inform of how dangerous it is they said they would get on it. Still nothing. Contacted news station on 15th they came out to broadcast it. Landlord calls on 16th to say they will have a sand company come out and fix. I am concerned about how unstable the home is. Can i leave this property without being faced with legal issues from landlord? I am the renter. Juat renewed lease in April. What are my options? I have 2 kids one of which room is in the basement. I am stressed. PLEASE HELP

No one but your landlord and/or a court can determine if you can vacate the property without any financial liability.

Talk to the city, or county, maybe one of them can condemn the property as unsafe for human habitation.

Check with your state's child protection agency.

Maybe they can help.

I suggest you work with the TV station to see if they can negotiate a way out of the lease for you.

The Salvation Army and/or the Red Cross might be able to offer you temporary assistance.

If you don't feel safe you can leave at any time.
If the landlord wants to pursue legal action regarding the lease agreement you would have your opportunity to have your say in court. It seems the landlord is making an effort to address the problem, but it is likely a band-aid fix. If there is a significant sinkhole the foundation of the building may already be compromised.
If you are not able or willing to leave, or if you are worried about the lease, see if a local building inspector can have a look at the situation and determine if the house is safe.

Back