signing over parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandylee

I have a question if anyone could help. My brother has two children with his ex wife and has paid child support for 8 years and she will not let him see the children because she lives in Indiana and he lives in Rhode Island. She has remarried and the children now call her new husband daddy. Our family here in Indiana has tired to keep in contact with them but she can make it difficult at times. Now after 8 years she wants an increase in child support and calls my brother often and is very rude and puts him down. Just being mean basically. He is so fed up that he just wants to sign his rights over because he can't see his children at all. He has even offered to let them move in with him if they want but she refuses. My question is can he sign his parental rights over and be done with it?

Why hasn't your brother done something with the courts when she is preventing visitation? He needs to file contempt charges. What state wasd the divorce drawn out of? Who moved?

He really should contact an attorney, or file contempt charges with the family court if she is not allowing him to see the kids.

Could he termimate rights? Possibly, since she is remarried and the step father would have to adopt, but he should not want to do this to his own kids. If she is not allowing him to see the kids and he has done nothing about it, that is partially his fault.

Why should he let her get away with this. If she is refusing contact, then he could possible even file for custody since the mother has been in comtempt over and over again.

He needs to file contempt of court charges. I don't know what state he filed for divorce. Tell him not to let her get away with not being able to see the children. He should at least be able to have them for the summer, spring break, christmas break, etc.

Obviously, she only wants the money he sends. He should be able to have a child/parent relationship. Don't give up his rights. He'll regret it in the long run.

Talk to attorney or call your child support office.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back