Signed contracts & never took posession

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcat2117

Hi I had gone on my own, a month ago exactly to buy a car from what I thought was a very friendly/nice dealer. I did sign all The contracts/financial papers etc...but I never took posession or put any money down. My father and I had gone down there to see the car and contracts the next day. He asked to see the contracts and the owner played dumb and pretended he didn't know where my file was, yet he held it in his hand. When I asked for my father to be able to look at the papers the owner refused! Saying he was the one who did the deal etc etc....so we started to leave and the guy I signed papers with magically shows up. When my father asked how long I had to cancel the guy looked at his feet rubbed his chin and said "uh will take care of her" he withheld information and impacted the sale. had I been told the truth I would of for sure calculated the next day, I know this because I had started to get nervous about their shady activities. So they ended up registering the car without telling me they were doing so and it sat there for a few days without them having told me! Also they were supposed to transfer plates and they did not. When I questioned why they said " idk what the hell you were doing with your car so I just registered it" ?!/$ unreal. But yes I know I signed the dan contracts so apparatly none of this matters. They took advantage of me and screwed me over. ROYALLY. Anyways when I tried to call and cancel they said too late. I demanded a copy of registration and contract and again magically his fax was broken. So I said text me a picture and he did. Tho only the bill of sale contract is legible. But in this I found a loop hole. At the bottom it says I can cancel at any time with written letter as long as I have not received a copy of the contract. So I did so. And yet they still refuse to cancel the sale. Over the box where it says I can cancel you can clearly see they stamped NA over some lines. They said it "did not apply to me" because the text was a copy of the contract. When pressed the owner even said it was a "technicality" and because I signed it doesn't matter. His own lawyer didn't even deny it as my right she simply said "you signed that's your acknowledgement you agreed/got a copy." Bullshit lady. Also they had been trying to charge me a fee of $35 a day until I pick up the car, by now it must be over $800. One lawyer I spoke to said this is unlawful. Anyway I'm sick of their threats, sick of their lies and sick of being without a car. Can someone give me a define answer here? I refuse to pay them a settlement on a car I never even had/drove! And I can't afford a lawyer for $300 an hour I make $300 a week if I'm lucky! Legal aid won't get back to me I need help/answers fast and im very desperate.

You've unfortunately dug a very deep hole for yourself. We don't provide legal specifics, and we don't create attorney-client relationships.

I suspect an issue with the sale. You and the dealer have bad blood.

I'm not sure how you'll resolve this or get answers because of that bad blood.

I see an issue with your wages. Try to contact the lender and see if the dealer rescinded the contract, or if the lender voided it.

You might be able to get some assistance through your state's attorney general.

Here is a link to her website:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/

Your state DMV:

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/buy-sell/state-regulations.php#Buying-a-New-Car

Last edited:
No money has changed hands and you never took possession of the car. This is in your favor despite the signature.

You might want to get a copy of your credit report and dispute any entries regarding this mess. If your report is cleaned up just go somewhere else to get a car.

The lender does not care on the slightest. I tried to cancel with them before they even GOT it thru and they still won't cancel, that from their VP himself! The bank and dealer made a killing on my sale so no one will cancel it because of that. The attorney general just said I signed I own it. They don't care either. These dealers actually even told us some one once picketed outside because of the way they did business. The DMV said I should not have to worry because after 30 days which its been, they will be forced to unregister it. So that is a small relief, but I'm worried about it ruining my credit. Tho I've kept checking, my first payment would be 11 days past due by now and I've seen nothing. The bank sent me a payment book but nothing with it. I would think it won of showed up by now and I'm monitoring my credit and I actually froze it to be safe. I honestly think it was all threats to get me to take it but I'm scared and making myself sick over this thx so much for the advice I really appreciate it!

They want you to give in. It sounds like you are on the right track to undoing a mess.
Consider making a small investment and spend some time with a local attorney who you can explain this to and get real advice on how to proceed.

They want you to give in. It sounds like you are on the right track to undoing a mess.
Consider making a small investment and spend some time with a local attorney who you can explain this to and get real advice on how to proceed.

If the AG is saying this to OP:
The attorney general just said I signed I own it

I'm not sure what she can further do.

Lack of consideration is a significant sticking point on this matter. The OP's contract is not complete with signature alone.

The loan apparently is not showing on the credit report yet, so as of now there really isn't even anything to do. OP should be able to go to any other location and buy a new vehicle and simply ignore the other dealer's attempts to contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back