Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft *SIGH* Ohio Chick Caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfdangit

Okay so I was at a store, and I'll be honest, I know better, I know how to get things out of the store generally without them seeing... BUT I had a weak/stupid moment, and hit the make-up, etc... When they rang it up, it was approx. $80 When I went to leave the store, they stopped me, took me into the office, then went and rang up everything that I hadn't. They had me sign something saying that I wouldn't go to any of the stores, and there was some green form that basically was a confession I believe, said that I didn't have any intention of paying for the items, and said if I signed that, then they wouldn't call the police. They took my ID, wrote down all the information off of it, etc, etc. Took my picture. I don't know what else would go on with it. Took all of about 10 minutes. I was more just scared, didn't want the police called.

The "security" person said that they had to charge me with it, I would get a "summons" in the mail in the next few weeks, and if I didn't have any previous record, then I should definitely ask about a diversion program and I wouldn't have a record then.

I think after doing some reading tonight, I'm just confused. They didn't say anything about a Civil Demand or anything like that. Just said basically, you'll get a summons, and ask about the diversion program. Again, I'm in Ohio, I won't give you my whole sob story, but I've got one lol.

My main questions are, what's actually going to happen, because they weren't totally specific. And also I need to make sure this isn't going to mess with any of my Financial Aid or Benefits to not go into specifics. I'm not working, etc. So were they telling the truth about the diversion program etc? Is it normal for me to get charged, but the police not be called? I mean I'm grateful, but I'd rather have just paid for the items. Should I have offered that? Thanks to everyone in advance! :blush

In general a criminal conviction of any kind can end any state benefits you might be getting. You need to start calling Lawyers and set up free consultations. Diversion is your best hope. I also suggest you enroll in an Anti shoplifting course since it seems you might have a problem based on your post. the NASP has an excellent program you can do at home. You can enroll via their website.

I am not judging, but it appears that you have a shoplifting habit. Please stop stealing and use the NASP resources so that you can kick this habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back