Sick Leave: New Policy

Chiu

Jurisdiction
California
I am a Personal Trainer for a gym in Orange County, California, working an average of 22 hours per week. I caught a cold from my coworkers and requested via text message to my manager to take 7 hours of sick leave for missing 7 clients. My manager responded, "Yes and no. Goes against your draw." I asked my manager to please explain. He replied, "Talk Monday." I have been with this company for about two years. According to my last pay stub, have accrued over 1,000 work hours and about 10 hours of sick leave. I feel I may be denied my sick leave. (I should clarify that last part: as in my manager may try to convince me why it's bad to take a sick leave).

Last edited:
There's nothing in your post to suggest you are being denied anything.

All I see is that your manager wants to talk about it on Monday.

There's nothing in your post to suggest you are being denied anything.

All I see is that your manager wants to talk about it on Monday.

Thank you for your input.

Results:
The owner had explained to my manager that because personal trainers get paid per client (we get 36% from what the client is paying per session), requesting for Sick Leave hours to be applied to this pay period will change this pay period from "per client" to "hourly" and may decrease my check's pay. Unfortunately, I can't request for sick hours on top of my per client hours.

Back