Show Cause Summons (Civil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prshush

My husband and I had our vehicle repossessed because I lost my job and we had only one income. We were told that an order to answer interrogatories was served on us but I did not sign for it, nor did we receive it. It is possible someone else in my household accepted it but we never got it from anyone. We just received a Show Cause Summons (Civil) for this Thursday. What can we do? We know that once a vehicle is repossessed we still owe the money. Will the judge allow us to enter into a payment plan. AT this time, my husband has a garnishment for a hospital bill. Will we be garnished again? Please help as we don't know what to do or to expect. Do we need to find an attorney to go with us to court on Thursday?

An attorney wouldn't hurt, but will also cost you more.
What you need to do is show up and argue your case. Your order to show cause is telling you to come to court and give your reasons why the order being requested should not be granted. You may not be able to do that, but you might be able to minimize the damages.
Whether you believe you were served or not does not really matter... it seems that the court believes that you were. Don't ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back