1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Should some pay while others don't?

Discussion in 'Homeowners Associations & Boards' started by wldlife, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wldlife

wldlife Law Topic Starter New Member

I have a sister in an HOA community. The HOA is only being run by a couple board members that live in the same community. The dues used to be $10 a month (I know, what a joke) but went up to $15 a month several years ago only because they need more money since half the community doesn't pay so the ones that do pay now have to pay that extra $5 to make up for it. Because of that reasoning, my sister stopped paying. She felt it is not right for a few people to pay when half the community is not paying and has never paid. She got her bill last month stating she now owes over $800. My question is, does she have rights? Can they force a lien on her home (which has no mortgage, it's been paid off) while letting the other homeowners slide by without paying?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

We live with our choices.

Sure, the HOA can try to place a lien on her deed.

So, what?

They can't force the sale of her home for an alleged $800 debt.

When she sells the home (or dies), the lien will cloud the title.

The $800 will eventually be paid, if the lien is perfected, and life goes on.

Not much to worry about here.

jshebester likes this.