Should I sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute4Me

About a month ago, I was rearended in a Jack-in-the-Box drive-through. Mind you, it was busy, but the man who hit me didn't even get out of his car and acknowledge his mistake, making me doubt that it'd even happened--though the car had violently lunged forward seemingly inexplicably. Despite this, I got out of my vehicle and went around the back to check for any immediate damage (that was not quite visible right then considering the position of the damage) and even looked at the man in the truck behind me who just avoided any sort of eye contact. I decided to drive around, hoping that maybe he just didn't want to clog up the drive through, but instead of stopping, the man just drove off--though not before I got his license plate number. Now, the truck I'm in had only been in my possession for perhaps 4 days when this rear-ending occurred. It's a 2001 Pathfinder, but it was in excellent condition before I decided to buy it for my daughter and even still had temp plates when the accident occurred. Confused, I decided to call the police, who met me at the scene and promptly called the man back. It was then that I noticed my bumper was completely lodged into the spare tire beneath the car, something that both I and the dealer both testified was NOT that way when I bought the car just a few days prior. The man returned and essentially said he did not remember rear ending me or anything, though, at one point, he even offered to pay for the damages out of pocket though I said it would be best to go through the insurance.

Cue two weeks later. His insurance put me through all sorts of changes considering now he's telling them he didn't do it, forcing me to buy a police report (that said the rear ending was the man's fault) before they finally sent someone out to look at my Pathfinder. The man they sent hardly looked at the apparent damage to my bumper (which is only really seen beneath the vehicle) and now flat spare, but rather took note of some obviously old scuffs on the side of the bumper and took a couple of bogus measurements. A day later, the man's insurance calls me and says they've decided not to take fault for the rearending based on the scuffs and some video they got from Jack-in-the-Box (which was at a horrible angle for one and clearly shows me getting out of the car to inspect my vehicle moments after it happened). What should I do in this situation? My car is obviously damaged and I would rather not have to pay a deductible through my own insurance and have it go up based on someone else's mistake. Should I take this to small claims court?

About a month ago, I was rearended in a Jack-in-the-Box drive-through. Mind you, it was busy, but the man who hit me didn't even get out of his car and acknowledge his mistake, making me doubt that it'd even happened--though the car had violently lunged forward seemingly inexplicably. Despite this, I got out of my vehicle and went around the back to check for any immediate damage (that was not quite visible right then considering the position of the damage) and even looked at the man in the truck behind me who just avoided any sort of eye contact. I decided to drive around, hoping that maybe he just didn't want to clog up the drive through, but instead of stopping, the man just drove off--though not before I got his license plate number. Now, the truck I'm in had only been in my possession for perhaps 4 days when this rear-ending occurred. It's a 2001 Pathfinder, but it was in excellent condition before I decided to buy it for my daughter and even still had temp plates when the accident occurred. Confused, I decided to call the police, who met me at the scene and promptly called the man back. It was then that I noticed my bumper was completely lodged into the spare tire beneath the car, something that both I and the dealer both testified was NOT that way when I bought the car just a few days prior. The man returned and essentially said he did not remember rear ending me or anything, though, at one point, he even offered to pay for the damages out of pocket though I said it would be best to go through the insurance.

Cue two weeks later. His insurance put me through all sorts of changes considering now he's telling them he didn't do it, forcing me to buy a police report (that said the rear ending was the man's fault) before they finally sent someone out to look at my Pathfinder. The man they sent hardly looked at the apparent damage to my bumper (which is only really seen beneath the vehicle) and now flat spare, but rather took note of some obviously old scuffs on the side of the bumper and took a couple of bogus measurements. A day later, the man's insurance calls me and says they've decided not to take fault for the rearending based on the scuffs and some video they got from Jack-in-the-Box (which was at a horrible angle for one and clearly shows me getting out of the car to inspect my vehicle moments after it happened). What should I do in this situation? My car is obviously damaged and I would rather not have to pay a deductible through my own insurance and have it go up based on someone else's mistake. Should I take this to small claims court?

You should allow your insurance company to handle it. They've got lawyers on staff waiting for these kinds of issues.

Seriously, based on your assertion the was no damage to his vehicle or your bumper cover, the damages are under $150 and not visible. Simply put a block of wood in there and pry the under cover back out.

"If" you decide you still want to pursue, you need to report the accident to your ins. co. (go through your ins. co.), as opposed to small claims court, as noted by boyzgrrl.

You can certainly pursue small claims.
A police report written by an officer who didn't see anything isn't a determinative finding of guilt at trial.
It's simply what the officer believes.
You'd have to convince a judge in small claims that it was the other guys fault.

Even if you were able to convince the judge the other guy did it, and you walked away with a verdict in your favor, you'd still not have a check.
You'd have to then try to collect the judgment from the other guy. That's even harder than convincing the judge. In fact, it's so much harder that very few people get anything more than pretty piece of legal paper saying Joe Blow owes Jimmy Crybaby some money.

But if the damage is only a few bucks on an old truck and it happened on private property, you're not likely to prevail.
Why not just spend the money, get your truck fixed, and move on?
Sure to you it's a great truck.
To everyone else, it's a decade old truck.

The dealer's recollection about no damage would mean very little without proof.
You'd have been better off taking a few bucks from the other dude when he offered it.
His offer to pay doesn't mean he's guilty.

One last point. If you take this to court, the other guy is likely to talk with the other owner about the truck's condition when he sold it. You might want to be very careful pushing this too hard, because his insurance carrier is likely to supply him with an attorney, if you do sue him. Yes, in Texas, you can be represented by an attorney in small claims.
You'll end up very frustrated with JP Court. It's not a fun experience, and as I said, you don't get a check, just a piece of pretty paper, assuming you were to prevail.

Last edited:
That's quite ignorant on his part. Whether you can sue or not, depends on the kind of damage your vehicle incurred and other specific details of the event. An auto accident lawyer would know the answer! You're from Texas, right? I think there's a firm called Seigman, Starritt-Burnett & Sinkfield, PLLC who are supposed to be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back