Should I sue them again, or wait until they sue me?

capoole87

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I had a hard time sleeping in my apartment due to extreme noise. So much it began to affect the health of my eyes as well as my performance at work. After many attempts to try and work out resolution with my landlord, I made the decision to file a tenant's assertion as I was getting a run around and avoidance. I did a 21-30 and only received a threatening letter from their lawyer. My move-out day came and I left. I paid my money to escrow. We had the tenant's assertion hearing and the landlords showed up and said they didn't want escrow and they didn't want to move any further with the hearing since I had already moved out. The judge returned my rent as a result. Virginia law requires them to send me a written bill of damages within 45 days which they did not. So I asked for my deposit and the additional rent I had given them prior to moving out back. I paid a full month even though I moved out mid-month. They then decided to send a bill. I took them back to court to settle on the deposit and they testified they were not the company to sue. They lied in court multiple times saying they didn't know where I lived, they never received a 21-30, etc. I had proof that squashed all those claims and then they lied and said they were not the company, they only managed the company responsible. The judge said I had to sue the right company. But now they have sent me to debt collections and it is their name on the collections letter. They not only committed perjury in court but they are now trying to cause lasting damage to my credit.

I suggest you discuss your options with several, licensed VA attorneys.

Most attorneys will meet with you in person initially at no charge or further obligation.

That's the best way to know for sure what legal strategies might benefit you best.

Be smart, don't rely on the advice of unknown strangers in a situation as complex and critical as yours could become.

But, you're here, so I'll offer this tidbit.

The results of the prior trial, the actions after that trial would benefit you immensely in the current matter before the court.

It could be your most effective defense.

Why?

The entity that is suing you today, denied that they were entity you tried to sue in the past.

Yet, the roaches skitter forth suing you today.

That's a very effective defense to their chicanery.

Perjury is a legal conclusion.

Only the judge can make legal conclusions.

You want to present evidence, factual evidence.

Simply set forth the facts known to you.

Whether perjury was committed won't benefit you.

The judge will see your point, especially as a layperson.

Use your weakness as your strength.

Back