Should I follow through

Status
Not open for further replies.

helplessnal

I dated a divorced guy for about 4 months (he also was my neighbor), during this time his EX-wife found out he was seeing someone. She was a complete stranger to me when she walked into my home and attacked me in front of my children. I broke up with the guy(for other reasons) and the next day after her court date the two of them got back together. She was found guilty and fined $467.00 and I was issued a R.O. Needless to say the girl moved in with him directly across the street from me. She left me alone for awhile but then started flipping me off and waving to me in a sarcastic way. I ignored her. She then backed into my 16yr old's truck and left. I tried to get a picture of the damage and go to the police but she came out of the house and got ugly. She called the police. She slapped me and knocked my camera out of my hand so I slapped her back. 2 months later she approached my vehicle as I was leaving w/my 4 yr old and started cussing at me. My 16yr old jumped out of his vehicle and came running over to us. She said ugly things to him about me and he pushed her out of his face. I called the police. That night or the next day she filed charges on me and my son for harassment. I had to go to jail. She lied in her deposition. I ended up moving from my neighborhood to get away from her, this set of problems have been going on for 6 months. I am not the first girlfriend of her exs that she has done this to. I hired a lawyer to defend me (even though my sister is one, diffferent town) He gave me a discount since I was a friend of a friend. $1,000. The girl did not show up for court on time, they had to call her. The judge dismissed the case. I am still out $1,000 dollars that I feel like I wasted. Yes, I am glad I got off but I feel like she owes me lawyer's fee, moving costs, lost wages (@40 hours), storage fee and maybe even the damges to my son's truck (It totals @ $2,500). I have never been in trouble with the law and would have never been if this girl had not harassed me for the past 6 months. I want to take her to small claims but my family thinks I should drop it because she is crazy. They do not understand I want her to pay for what she did to me. Do I have a case and should I sue her?

Well, that is a decision only you can make. Among the aspects that should guide you are those:
-how likely is recovery, that is, how likely is it that you will get any money from her if you should win? If she is poor, hard to find etc etc. it might be that you will not be able to recover.

-how much aggravation will the case bring to you, how much is your peace of mind worth? If everything is quiet now and you go separate ways, would a lawsuit restart the war? Is the money you might gain worth it?

-How much do you need that suit for closure? May be you want to hear a jiudge tell you and everyone that you were right. May be that will give you peace of mind, then a lawsuit would make sense to you.

and so on. This question only you can decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back