should i file police report for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysonti

At a party one of friends tackled me and started punching me while i was on the ground. He was not provoked by me, at the time I was talking to somebody else. A few of my teeth were chipped and I want him to pay for it. My question is what will happen if i file a police report. Is there any way to file a police report but not press charges so he doesn't get in trouble. I just want him to pay for my teeth. I know it would be best if I had a police report in case I have to take it to court. Is there any way to get a police report simply as a record of the incident. Also if I do file a police report and dont press any charges what will happen with it and will he be notified. I'm thinking that I should file the report soon while I still have bruises to prove it. Him and I have a lot of mutual friends so I don't want to get him in any trouble just to pay.

If you make a police report, you are NOT in control any longer. What you describe is likely felony battery (or assault - depending on your state's definitions). The police do not take reports just to get information for you to sue him or compel his payment for your medical bills. If you only want to get paid, hire a private investigator or give the info to your insurance company and see if they have an interest in suing him to recoup their loss.

The police are not there to document your civil dispute. If you do not want him to potentially go to prison, do not call the cops and waste their time.

- Carl

Right, thats what i was thinking. But if i dont have a police report would it be hard to win a civil judgement against him if he refuses to pay. Other people witnessed this. Also, I don't have dental insurance or even health insurance right now for that matter as I am in between colleges.

If he gets prosecuted, chances are that restitution would be ordered. No police report might certainly raise eyebrows, but it does not mean that no award would be made after a successful lawsuit.

But, do you have the money to sue him? more importantly, does he have the money to pay for your medical costs AND your attorney?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back