Personal Bankruptcy Should I file a Proof of Claim form to recoup money in a company's Chapter 11 filing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude

Hello,
I am looking for advice. I bought airline tickets to Hawaii last December to travel in June through ATA Airlines. In early April, ATA declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Since we had purchased our tickets with a credit card and services weren't rendered, our charge was refunded. However, in purchasing new airline tickets so close to the flying date and at a peak time, we had to fork over an extra $700 and fly from a different, less convenient airport. Obviously, had we known that ATA would go bankrupt, we would have saved the pain of the process and bought tickets that were a bit more expensive back in December through a different airline. My question, sheepishly, is this: is this sort of claim appropriate in this setting to file a Proof of Claim form to try and recoup the $700 (we have proof of what was spent, when it was spent, etc.)? Or is the Chapter 11 setting for more substantial claims for the airline's creditors, stockholders, etc.? Is there any chance of me getting this money back, or do I just accept defeat and move on? Thanks in advance for any help.

The petition filed for ATA in U.S. Bankruptcy court claims:

"Debtor estimates that, after any exempt property is excluded and administrative expenses paid, there will be no funds available for distribution to unsecured creditors."

I wouldn't waste one more minute even thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back