Should I Ever Talk To The Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisthelaw

Long and complicated story. But the police called a home phone number which a family member gave my cell number. The office called me and said he needed to talk to me about a matter and should be really quick.

I have no idea what he wants as I have not done anything (that I conciously know of) to break the law. However, there is a dispute between my former roommates that one broke something of anothers, and the one roommate wanted me to testify against the other for some criminal thing.

Anyways, people say I shouldn't talk to the police, or always plead the fifth amendment, or ask for an attorney and all that. Although I could be helpful to the roommate, I don't want to hurt the other one.

So, should I ever talk to the police?

Long and complicated story. But the police called a home phone number which a family member gave my cell number. The office called me and said he needed to talk to me about a matter and should be really quick.

I have no idea what he wants as I have not done anything (that I conciously know of) to break the law. However, there is a dispute between my former roommates that one broke something of anothers, and the one roommate wanted me to testify against the other for some criminal thing.

Anyways, people say I shouldn't talk to the police, or always plead the fifth amendment, or ask for an attorney and all that. Although I could be helpful to the roommate, I don't want to hurt the other one.

So, should I ever talk to the police?

Let your conscious answer that for you. If you do talk then remember they can use that in court. To me it would depend on alot of circumstances like what was broke was of great value weather price or sentamental and what led up to it getting broke. Good luck and if you decide not to hopefully your other friend will understand that you do not want to get involved. Good luck.

Last edited:
It's up to you. You can speak to them and tell the truth, or you can avoid them or politely decline to speak to them. of course, you may lose a friend either way. The friend who could be aided by your testimony will likely be offended that you wouldn't stand up. So, ask yourself whether you'd rather have the thief or vandal clapping you on the back calling you pal, or the guy who was a victim? (Assuming, of course, that is what the call is about)

I don't know if this has anything to do with the friend situation. It may then again it may not. But that's all I can think of. Then again this other friend probably deserves what's coming after him (the one making the accusations), so not being interviewed on his behalf would be better (in my opinion).

I am wondering if I decline to be interviewed if the cops would then have reason of suspicion or probably cause to arrest me. Isdeclining to be interviewed (taking the fifth) grounds for reasonable doubt?

I am wondering if I decline to be interviewed if the cops would then have reason of suspicion or probably cause to arrest me. Isdeclining to be interviewed (taking the fifth) grounds for reasonable doubt?
Certainly the cops might be suspicious of you if you decline to talk, but a refusal to talk is not proof of guilt.

Should you EVER talk to the police? Well sometimes you should, sometimes you shouldnt.

In this case, I would at least want to hear what the cops have to say, just to kill curiosity! You can always hang up the phone, even mid conversation if you want. You dont have to talk to them. I wouldnt say much, I would just do the proverbial "raise eyebrows and smile."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back