Should i even try to fight this ticket?

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My car was parked in the parking lot of a supermarket with no front plate attached, but displayed in the dash (i know thats not a legal place for a plate). I came out to my car and had a ticket I just recently bought the car and the bolt holes are worn out to a point where a bolt wouldnt screw on as well as holes made by previous owner that were worn. I drove around for a month with the plate in my dash with no problems or warnings. After the ticket i immediately bought some zip tie and got the plate on that way. But should i fight the ticket? I know im probably in the wrong but a friend told me its something i should fight because my front plate was displayed (illegally) in the dash and the cop was being an a-hole cause it was the end of the month.

Should i fight the ticket? I know im probably in the wrong but a friend told me its something i should fight because my front plate was displayed (illegally)

You have no defense, other than the "cop had a quota, thus ticketed you at the end of the month".

You admit your guilt in your post.

Some offenses have no defense.

This one fits that bill, your plates were displayed properly, or they weren't.

In your scenario, you admit to breaking the law for one month.

Sorry, display the plates correctly, or risk a citation.

You got lucky for 30 days, your luck ran out on day 31.

Not gonna cut it, but you're free to waste a day at traffic court, aka, liars court, only to hear the infamous words, "GUILTY, pay the clerk, NEXT CASE Bailiff!"

my front plate was displayed (illegally)

And you got a ticket for it.

Here's what the statute says:

Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle ... shall be attached thereto, one in the front and one in the rear.

every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate.

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Don't blame the cop or the time of the month. This is on you.

After the ticket i immediately bought some zip tie and got the plate on that way

And you could have and should have done that the day you got the car.

You are welcome to plead not guilty and see how far you get.

The law just says securely fastened but to be on the safe side why not get mounting bracket/proper bolts.

Another question, as i said, i zip tied the plate to the car. Is that legal or do i have to get a mounting bracket or proper bolts?

Securely mounted, with bolts/nuts, or screws helps in discouraging criminals from using zip ties, or placing plates on the dash to commit crimes by easily swapping plates.

It's not foolproof, but it helps identify culprits.

Back