Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

Cristy

Jurisdiction
Texas
I got caught shoplifting at a retail store. It was something I did that was unnecessary and stupid because I always go in and actually shop but I tend to grab a bracelet or one time I grabbed a tester the point is loss prevention said they knew about all the other times. So the day they caught me loss prevention took me in and made me sign a paper I was so nervous I just signed and was told I would get a civil demand letter in the mail and that I had to pay it. They took a picture and copy of my drivers license. When I got the letter in the mail I immediately paid it. Is shoplifting in my criminal record even if I didn't speak to a police officer at the time?

No, you have not been criminally charged or convicted of anything. You weren't even arrested.

What you paid was basically a private fine for your shoplifting.

Is shoplifting in my criminal record even if I didn't speak to a police officer at the time?

No.

You got a break.

You should never steal anything.

If you get caught the price you'll pay is higher than the useless junk you stole.

loss prevention took me in and made me sign a paper

How did LP "make" you sign? Did someone hold a gun to your head? What did this "paper" say?

Is shoplifting in my criminal record even if I didn't speak to a police officer at the time?

Nothing in your post suggests that you were arrested, charged or convicted of any crime or that any report was made to the police. What would make you think there might be any "criminal record" as a result of what happened?

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. No you do not have a criminal record. In order for that to happen you would have to be charged and prosecuted in court. You may however be in a Retail Theft Database. This is only a problem if you work or plan to work retail.

Back