Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsmrksa

I was caught shoplifting at a retail store. I'm an adult. I know it was very stupid n I'm very guilty. I took some cosmetics. Not sure but I think the total is below $35. I was taken to a room at the back and they took my id and took down my address n phone number. I was very cooperative I gave back all the items n also told them to check my purse if they wanted but they dint. They did not call the police I was terrified n asked them if they will send the police later, they said they won't
After taking my photo and details they let me off and gave a paper n told I will get a letter in 14 days and if I dint I should call the 1800 number. I read about it and people say it's civil demand. How much is this likely to be?
Also once I pay this is it over? I ant to get done with this and do not want my husband to know about it.
I'm extremely terrified as I'm a foreigner and il be visiting my country in 2 months will it affect my travel to leave use and return back.
I plan to at the civil demand asap.
I know what I did was wrong n I learnt my lesson and I'm terrified beyond words no sleep food etc.
Also I was not told that I shouldn't return to the store but should I avoid it anyway?
Will I get any legal notice? This happens 4 days ago I haven't got anything yet and as I said earlier police were not involved.

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Yes once you pay this should be over. Your civil demand will probably be around $300.00 but that is an estimate. Read more on this topic here http://www.parentnook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=3934 once you pay the store has nothing to gain by taking any further action. Fail to pay and they can take any number of actions or none at all. Its up to you to take that risk or not. read link before deciding

Thanks...are you aware of anyone who has faced this was it over for them after paying or did they still have action taken after paying?

In the time I have worke din this filed I know of no case where a retailer has filed a criminal complaint (if not filed at time) after Civil Demand was paid

Thanks a lot for your help... Just one last question if they did not involve the police at that time then there would be no record right. I was terrified asked them if they would send the police later to my home, they said they won't. And also once the amount reaches them do that have any way to confirm they have received it? Because I know they must be getting millions of letters

In Texas, if a person paid the civil demand or ignored it, I know there has NEVER been one civil lawsuit filed against anyone.
In fact, I was curious one day and asked our county law library to research the issue.
I am a licensed Texas attorney.
I've practiced law for four decades.
I also asked an intern and a paralegal to research the matter.
The answers from all three people were, no lawsuit has ever been filed in the ENTIRE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS pursuant to this silly law.

My brothers and sisters at the Texas Bar laugh over this ridiculous law.
There are some sleazy lawyers and law firms, to date, none of those will touch this dumb law.
It costs far more to pursue this idiocy than one could ever recover.
Plus, many shoplifters are poor.
Even if a merchant chose to pursue this, to collect on such a judgment would be all but impossible.
Texas debt laws favor debtors, and most of the junk Texas citizens own is off limit to the debt collector, protected by our Texas constitution.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do-i-need-to-pay-a-civil-demand-letter---if-not--w-1462740.html

https://roselawtx.wordpress.com/tag/civil-demand-for-theft-payment/

http://www.joedane.com/featured/cau...lice-were-not-called-do-i-have-to-pay-a-fine/

http://www.lawqa.com/qa/what-will-happen-if-i-do-not-pay-civil-demand-fee-of-150

Thanks a lot. I'm cool with paying the civil demand as far as it's not some outrageous amount that I cant pay. If that keeps me out of trouble I'm ok paying and getting done with it. How much is the civil demand usually in state of Texas?

Thanks a lot. I'm cool with paying the civil demand as far as it's not some outrageous amount that I cant pay. If that keeps me out of trouble I'm ok paying and getting done with it. How much is the civil demand usually in state of Texas?

Wait, the letter will arrive sooner or later.

Thanks I was just wondering how much it usually is so I can make sure I have funds. Also is there a limit to how much they can charge me for civil demand?

Thanks I was just wondering how much it usually is so I can make sure I have funds. Also is there a limit to how much they can charge me for civil demand?

They can't charge you anything.
They can request you pay around $500.
You can GIFT them your money, or you can ignore them.
If they demand a "love gift" of say, $400, you can make payment arrangements.
Yes, they'll kindly permit you to pay them in installments, costing you more money.
How much?
Again, you'll have to wait for the joyous day the demand appears in your mailbox.

Last edited:
You should expect it to be 300-500 dollars. When you receive the letter take it to a local attorney for some quick advice that will cost you much less than the demanded amount.
These demands rely heavily upon intimidation to get people to pay. Understand that you have no obligation whatsoever to pay the demand unless a judge orders it.

Even if you pay the civil demand & no police got/are involved, there is a "possibility" you were reported to a retail "theft" database that the retail store may be a member of. The databases were not operating due to a lawsuit but my understanding is that some at least are up & currently running. shrinkmaster knows more about this than I do & has information regarding which stores report to a database. He might come along & add something or be able to tell you in an e-mail if the store you shoplifted from reports to a database if you give him name of store - do not post store's name here in this thread.

I cannot divulge (publically) who uses what database but I can privately if interested. You may email me if interested. My email should be in my profile

Thanks shrinkmaster - didn't know you would come along so soon. :)

Thanks a lot for your response. I am going to pay what civil demand they ask I never intended not to pay even though people were saying not to. I just hope after that it doesn't cause me trouble. I have learnt my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back