Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugene2026

What am i facing if i was caught shoplifting . The total of my shoplifting was $104.00. What charges do i have against me . PLeas get back to me ASAP.Thanks alot

This is the law:

4)Shoplifting is a disorderly persons offense under subsection b. of this section if the full retail value of the merchandise is less than $200.00. Additionally, notwithstanding the term of imprisonment provided in N.J.S.2C:43-6 or 2C:43-8, any person convicted of a shoplifting offense shall be sentenced to perform community service as follows: for a first offense, at least ten days of community service; for a second offense, at least 15 days of community service; and for a third or subsequent offense, a maximum of 25 days of community service and any person convicted of a third or subsequent shoplifting offense shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of not less than 90 days.

(New Jersey Permanent Statutes 2C:20-11 Shoplifting)

2C:43-8. Sentence of imprisonment for disorderly persons offenses and petty disorderly persons offenses
A person who has been convicted of a disorderly persons offense or a petty disorderly persons offense may be sentenced to imprisonment for a definite term which shall be fixed by the court and shall not exceed 6 months in the case of a disorderly persons offense or 30 days in the case of a petty disorderly persons offense

So basically the maximum sentence is 6 months in jail and at least 10 days community service, but for a first time offender you most probably will not be sentenced to jail and probably will only have to do the community service and may be pay a fine.

You can also be convicted to restitution, meaning you have to pay back the store the value of the stolen merchandise plus all the costs the store had, which can be a couple of hundreds of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back