Shoplifting Tickets/ please help

She needs to show up in court on the required date. She needs to discuss with the public defender appointed what will happen & her options.

As noted, she needs to discuss plea options with the PD.

so she needs to plea not guilty right?

Every person charged with a crime can plead not guilty.
You don't need a lawyer to assist you pleading not guilty.
You will need a lawyer later to help you achieve an acquittal or apnea deal.
Yes, she should initially plead not guilty.
It's her RIGHT!!!!

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate all the feedback
It's her RIGHT!!!!

It's her RIGHT!!!!

Mr. Army Judge

please can you tell me what kind of options she may have? the court has already a pointed a PD for her, but she needs to know what to do ? one more thing, before the first appearing in the court, we used to check her case status and it was showing as (pending) but now it doesn't show anything and it keeps saying no results are found,what does this mean?

Thank you

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate all the feedback

Mr. Army Judge

please can you tell me what kind of options she may have? the court has already a pointed a PD for her, but she needs to know what to do ? one more thing, before the first appearing in the court, we used to check her case status and it was showing as (pending) but now it doesn't show anything and it keeps saying no results are found,what does this mean?

Thank you

What you're seeing online coud mean the case was dismissed.
I suggest you have her ask her lawyer (a public defender is a lawyer).
Or, she could call the court clerk and ask about the status of her case.

What she shouldn't do is ignore it, or do nothing.

She should always appear in court as directed.

If she needs a translator, she must tell the court.

Someone who speaks English and her mother tongue can go with her and let the court know she doesn't understand English and requests a translator.

The court will make sure she gets one.

What you're seeing online coud mean the case was dismissed.
I suggest you have her ask her lawyer (a public defender is a lawyer).
Or, she could call the court clerk and ask about the status of her case.

What she shouldn't do is ignore it, or do nothing.

She should always appear in court as directed.

If she needs a translator, she must tell the court.

Someone who speaks English and her mother tongue can go with her and let the court know she doesn't understand English and requests a translator.

The court will make sure she gets one.
Thank you so much for your response

Hello guys,
I just wanna update you guys regarding the shoplifting ticket. she sent to the court, and they pointed a PD for her, she has been scheduled to appear in the court again, which was today 03/07/2016. the PD gave her a form says that " the defendant agrees to plea no contest , and she will pay a fine and surcharges of $255. then the judge asked her to do the fingerprint she is very worried, and doesn't know if what is gonna happen next. please any advises?

Hello guys,
I just wanna update you guys regarding the shoplifting ticket. she sent to the court, and they pointed a PD for her, she has been scheduled to appear in the court again, which was today 03/07/2016. the PD gave her a form says that " the defendant agrees to plea no contest , and she will pay a fine and surcharges of $255. then the judge asked her to do the fingerprint she is very worried, and doesn't know if what is gonna happen next. please any advises?

It seems the state has offered her a deal.
The state will allow her to plead NO CONTEST, just a fancy way of saying she's pleading GUILTY.
In exchange for her plea, the state wants her to pay $255.
She can arrange to pay it in install nets, monthly or weekly, if she takes the deal.
In exchange for the plea, that will end her case.
It appears she won't do jail time, or have any other punishment.
Now she must decide if she likes the deal.
Furthermore, she needs to get the deal in writing, and have her lawyer explain it to her.
She needs a translator that speaks her mother tongue, if she doesn't understand English well.
I stress, she needs to take you, or someone who can make sure she FULLY understands EVERYTHING.

It seems the state has offered her a deal.
The state will allow her to plead NO CONTEST, just a fancy way of saying she's pleading GUILTY.
In exchange for her plea, the state wants her to pay $255.
She can arrange to pay it in install nets, monthly or weekly, if she takes the deal.
In exchange for the plea, that will end her case.
It appears she won't do jail time, or have any other punishment.
Now she must decide if she likes the deal.
Furthermore, she needs to get the deal in writing, and have her lawyer explain it to her.
She needs a translator that speaks her mother tongue, if she doesn't understand English well.
I stress, she needs to take you, or someone who can make sure she FULLY understands EVERYTHING.

Army Judge
thank you so much for your response, that's exactly what happened, she accepted, but the PD said there is no way to plea not guilty, because everything is against her. anyways, is this gonna remain in her records? or is it gonna affected her in anyways?

Thank you so much for your response in advance

A no contest plea is more or less the same as pleading guilty. It shows as a criminal conviction (record).

Army Judge
thank you so much for your response, that's exactly what happened, she accepted, but the PD said there is no way to plea not guilty, because everything is against her. anyways, is this gonna remain in her records? or is it gonna affected her in anyways?

Thank you so much for your response in advance

Yes, it'll show. But, she's not a murderer, or a robber.
If she does EVERYTHING the state is asking, she can eventually get this charge sealed, or cleansed from her record.
It won't be sealed from everyone, but from some.
So, if that's the best she feels she can get, she can take the deal, pay the fine, behave herself, and she'll have her freedom and her life back.

It's not the best deal, but it ain't the worst and she won't have to be locked up like a wild beast.

Good luck.

Yes, it'll show. But, she's not a murderer, or a robber.
If she does EVERYTHING the state is asking, she can eventually get this charge sealed, or cleansed from her record.
It won't be sealed from everyone, but from some.
So, if that's the best she feels she can get, she can take the deal, pay the fine, behave herself, and she'll have her freedom and her life back.

It's not the best deal, but it ain't the worst and she won't have to be locked up like a wild beast.

Good luck.

Hello Mr. Army Judge
I just wanted to follow up with you regarding the same issue. she just got a written notice aaying that she needs to appear in the court, and do a fingerprint becuase she had a shoplifting ticket that hasn't been field against her until couple days ago. she did a fingerprint for the other shoplifting and she is paying the fine, but she just got this notice. she is very worried and doesn't know what to do please any advice we will appreciate that

Hello Mr. Army Judge
I just wanted to follow up with you regarding the same issue. she just got a written notice aaying that she needs to appear in the court, and do a fingerprint becuase she had a shoplifting ticket that hasn't been field against her until couple days ago. she did a fingerprint for the other shoplifting and she is paying the fine, but she just got this notice. she is very worried and doesn't know what to do please any advice we will appreciate that

She simply does the same thing she did for the first ticket for the new ticket.
You need to talk to her about stealing.
She'll probably be allowed to merge both charges into one deal, maybe even her original deal.

But, she has to stop stealing because eventually she'll get time in jail, or even prison.
She'll also lose privileges like food stamp assistance, find it harder to get jobs, and many other negative consequences etc...

Stealing will destroy her life, so talk to her.
She's her own worse enemy, mate.
Judges dislike repeat offenders and liars.

She might ask her PD if she can get a psychiatric evaluation and get ordered into treatment for her budding addiction to STEALING.

Back