Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant shoplifting ticket question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurisdiction
Arizona
I just got caught shoplifting in AZ two days ago for a value of $85, they call the police and I got a ticket and a court date,I have read so many things about the consequences, but I swear it wasn't intentional, they also told me that they will send a letter in mail mail, but I am really worried because I don't have money to hire a lawyer, please help what should I do?

Last edited:
Search this website.
Your questions have been asked and answered thousands of times.
The answers won't change.
In the meantime, appear in court, plead not guilty, don't explain or discuss your charges, ask the judge if you qualify for a public defender.
Follow the instructions f the court, and for your sake, STOP STEALNG.

thank you for your response
but how can plead not guilty? there is no way to prove that I was not guilty. if I was guilty is this gonna stay in my records forever?

Last edited:
I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Here is what I suggest

. go to court plead not guilty and hire a Lawyer or request public defender. This will delay case so you can discuss your defense plans with an Attorney. Dont worry about your guilt your just buying time.

. when Civil Demand comes pay it

. ask your Lawyer about ACD or Diversion as plea options to protect your record

Thank you Shrinkmaster for your feedback
what if can't hire a private attorney? because I don't work right now, and can't pay anything? what should I do? can I ask the public defender for the ACD?

Yes most Diversion or ACD programs are the same they work like a conviction with fines, community service, probation etc but once you complete program your case is dismissed and no conviction appears on your record

If you can't afford a lawyer, ask the court to appoint you a public defender. A PD is a lawyer - discuss your options. You can ask the PD after ACD or Diversion.

Thank you Shrinkmaster
so should I just go to court on that day, and ask for public defender? and then ask the public defender for ACD?

This is simple, but requires patience.
Take it one step at a time.
Plead not guilty, ask the judge if you qualify for a public defender.
You'll be given forms to complete, and eventually get a PD.

Once you get the PD, ask him or her how you can best defend and protect yourself?

Anyone arrested in this country is INNOCENT, until the government proves them to be guilty.

All of us have the RIGHT to not incriminate ourselves, and not to tell on ourselves. That means you won't be required to admit to anything, so don't and stop talking.

Yes, ask the PD after ACD or Diversion.

This is simple, but requires patience.
Take it one step at a time.
Plead not guilty, ask the judge if you qualify for a public defender.
You'll be given forms to complete, and eventually get a PD.

Once you get the PD, ask him or her how you can best defend and protect yourself?

Anyone arrested in this country is INNOCENT, until the government proves them to be guilty.

All of us have the RIGHT to not incriminate ourselves, and not to tell on ourselves. That means you won't be required to admit to anything, so don't and stop talking.
Thank you for feedback
but you said plead no guilty means that to deny what I did doesn't it? but the problem is when they police and lp took me to the back room and ask me if I have anything on me, first I denied then I took the stuff out of me pocket. So yes I was guilty but I also told the cops that I have bad memory and I just don't realize what I am doing at the moment. so how should I ask for plead not guilty after they caught me :(

Thank you for feedback
but you said plead no guilty means that to deny what I did doesn't it? but the problem is when they police and lp took me to the back room and ask me if I have anything on me, first I denied then I took the stuff out of me pocket. So yes I was guilty but I also told the cops that I have bad memory and I just don't realize what I am doing at the moment. so how should I ask for plead not guilty after they caught me :(

Yes, plead not guilty in court.
What you allegedly told the police means NOTHING now.
Your lawyer will explain it all to you.
You appear to have another language.
When you appear before the court, ask for an interpreter to translate for you,, so you can use your mother language.

DON'T ATTEMPT TO DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE A TRANSLATOR PRESENT.

The court will see that one is provided to help you.

You don't understand, but working with your lawyer and the translator you can learn.

We can't help you.

You aren't comprehending this in English.

No worry, you'll get it in your native language.

Just so you know, even if you confessed, you have an affirmative defense - your lack of English skills and you are a speaker of English as a second language.

That is a great defense, as you weren't able to clearly understand what you were being asked.

You need to do as we have instructed. If you plead "guilty" you will be at mercy of court and get get max sentence and/or criminal record. As I told you told pleading not guilty just buys you time.

1) Go to court
2) Plead not guilty
3) Ask the judge if you qualify for a PD ("sounds like" you do)
4) Discuss your options with the PD (ask about ACD or Diversion)

Good luck - watch that you don't shoplift again (intentional or unintentional)

1) Go to court
2) Plead not guilty
3) Ask the judge if you qualify for a PD ("sounds like" you do)
4) Discuss your options with the PD (ask about ACD or Diversion)

Good luck - watch that you don't shoplift again (intentional or unintentional)
Thank you Betty
but you know the only thing that I am worried about is what if I don't get qualified for a PD, at that time I will not have anyone legally to represent me ,and may end up in jail :(

If you don't work & can't afford your own attorney, a PD "should" be appointed for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back