Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reallyworried

Here's what happened. I attempted to shoplift about $40 worth of merchandise from Meijer ( a Wal-Mart type store) and was caught. I cooperated with Loss Prevention. I was detained in-store and they wrote down some of my personal information. I was told that Meijer was pressing charges, and the police were called over. After the police arrived and my previously clean slate was verified, I was sent home.

I live in California and this happened while I was visiting family in Ohio. I am a first time offender. The address I gave them was my address in California, and I'll be returning there about 3 weeks after the incident. Here are some of my questions:

1) When/how many times will I need to go to court?

2) Did they notify my college (I told them the name of my school and they wrote it down on something that looked like an arrest form of some sort)?

3) I keep reading that arraignments take place within 24 hours of arrest, but the people at the store told me I'd get something in the mail and my court hearing would be in a month or later.

I am very confused and worried. Thanks in advance for your advice.

1) That depends on the disposition of the case. The prosecutor will try to keep it the number of court appearances minimal. It also depends on the local ways to do things.

2) I have no idea.

3) You obviously have not been arrested, otherwise the cops would have taken you to the police station and to jail and then you would have been arraigned in court and probably let go on bail or own recognizance. Here obviously they think the case is not that important, so they let you go right away. You have to appear to the court appointment you will get by mail. If not they will issue an arrest warrant.

Since this could affect your future carreer you should get a defense lawyer and talk with him about ways to avoid a criminal record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back