Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion shoplifting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

helppls

20 years old got caught shoplifting for a little over 200$ in california. clean record nothing on it, charged me with a felon
question is possible to get this down to a misdemeanor?
another question, would it be better to pay for an attorney or get a free one appointed by the court? does it make a difference? one try harder for you?
how much am i looking to spend here on a california attorney rough estimate?... dont have much money but cant afford to have this on my record willing to take out loans
thank you!

If you can, get a lawyer before you go to court. Some lawyers "might" give you an initial consultation for free. If you can't afford a lawyer, then ask the court if they "might" appoint one for you. Talk only to the lawyer. The lawyer will answer all your questions & get you the best outcome possible.

Don't steal any more.

If you can, get a lawyer before you go to court. Some lawyers "might" give you an initial consultation for free. If you can't afford a lawyer, then ask the court if they "might" appoint one for you. Talk only to the lawyer. The lawyer will answer all your questions & get you the best outcome possible.

Don't steal any more.

rough estimate of how much its going to cost to get an attorney?

You'll need to ask around (ask some lawyers) though someone on this forum might come along & give you a rough guess.

There will be a specific set of criteria determining whether or not you qualify for a public defender. It's not generally a choice. If you can afford to pay for a private attorney, you're not likely to qualify for a free one.

The time to worry about the degree of crime you might be charged with, is before you commit it.

First off if you can get your own Attorney you don't qualify for public defender. Second you can likely get free consultations on your first visit to most Lawyers. I suggest you get as many as you can. They will give you cost at that time. The cost will vary on what it is you need them to do. If you intend to fight charge it will cost more if you want them to work with DA on plea deal than less. Talk to these Attorneys about ACD or Diversion as option

All lawyers do not charge exactly the same - ask around as we suggested.

20 years old got caught shoplifting for a little over 200$ in california. clean record nothing on it, charged me with a felon
question is possible to get this down to a misdemeanor?
What code section were you charged with? A theft of $200 would be petty theft per PC 488/490.5. I'm guessing you were charged with commercial (2nd degree) burglary per PC 459.

Were you convicted?

If so, you might be able to apply for an expungement.

Check this site for more info and to see if you are eligible:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1070.htm

another question, would it be better to pay for an attorney or get a free one appointed by the court? does it make a difference? one try harder for you?
If you have NOT yet been convicted (and upon my second reading this seems to be the case), then it is possible to get a plea to petty theft or diversion as suggested (and, if diversion is available where this happened). Most often these are pled down ... but, it might depend on the details.

And, a public defender should be able negotiate a plea just fine.

how much am i looking to spend here on a california attorney rough estimate?... dont have much money but cant afford to have this on my record willing to take out loans
thank you!
If you can afford an attorney, you may not qualify for publicly appointed counsel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back