Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting, PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafanya

Please help me, I am confused. About 4 years ago I got caught shoplifting in a Rite Aid store in Brooklyn, NY. They took me to the back room and made me give up the merchandise I stole. I was cooperative, and they did not call the police. They just took my picture and made me signed some paperwork. In about a month I received a letter from their attorneys asking me to pay for the merchandize and plus a fine. The merchandize I shoplifted was worth less then $30 everything came up to $116.55. I paid right away, and I ended up never going to court. It was the first time I broke the law. And they told me that they dropped all the civil charges. Now I am wondering:
1. Could I possibly have any criminal charges?
2. Could this some how be reflected on my record? Maybe as a violation or something of that nature?
3. I am applying to law school and they want me to disclose if I have ever been cited, charged with, convicted, or pleade guilty to any violation of any law. Do I have to tell them about this incident? PLEASE HELP, I am lost

No, it seems this was a purely civil matter between you and the store. If there would be any criminal charges you would have been notified long ago, Since there were no charges there won't be a criminal record.

Regarding your application to law school, read the application very carefully. What you have quoted here all pertains to criminal proceedings only. But it really depends on the wording. Also bear in mind, that many or all states will conduct a moral character investigation if you want to be admitted to the bar and that could become a problem then. Find out exactly what their procedures and standards are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back