Shoplifting on Base. What is to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howdoiiiiiii

Jurisdiction
California
Hi,
I'm seeking legal advice as to what am I to expect. I was caught shoplifting ($17.00 worth) & was told to sign a civil paper where I am going to pay $200 & a DoD saw me & he had me sign a citation stating that I'm going to see a judge in federal court. Explaining that what had happened is a federal offense as it was done on base. What is to happen now? What are the next steps I should do?

Shoplifting: Is it worth getting caught'

This explains what happens when you shoplift at the PX/BX on base.

Military personnel are picked up and brought over to the PX to watch the video to make sure there is a concealment of property. Once the shoplifting is verified they are verbally advised of their rights and brought to the MP station.

Cases with adult civilians (dependents) are similarly handled but after the rights waiver is conducted and the statement invokes or finishes their statement they are given a mandatory summons to appear in court - can be two months after the incident.

You go in front of a federal judge who will hear your case and that judge determines if you're guilty or not guilty.

You also realize that you can get your privileges to base revoked as well right? And this will get reported to your servicemember's command.

Did you invoke your right to a lawyer or did you fill out a statement? You should most definitely get a lawyer.

You also realize that you can get your privileges to base revoked as well right? And this will get reported to your servicemember's command.

You are 100% correct.

I can now add that recently on some installations (coming to all installations in the near future), if you're residing on base, you can be given a "BASE BAN LETTER" by the commanding general or admiral.

Such a letter will keep you off that base for one, two, or three years.

In rare cases, you can be banned for life.

In addition, your entire family could get banned.
That means, the army won't pay your moving expenses.
I've seen people given 72 hours to move out.

Be smart, don't steal from anyone, much less Uncle Sam!!!

Shoplifting: Is it worth getting caught'

This explains what happens when you shoplift at the PX/BX on base.

Military personnel are picked up and brought over to the PX to watch the video to make sure there is a concealment of property. Once the shoplifting is verified they are verbally advised of their rights and brought to the MP station.

Cases with adult civilians (dependents) are similarly handled but after the rights waiver is conducted and the statement invokes or finishes their statement they are given a mandatory summons to appear in court - can be two months after the incident.

You go in front of a federal judge who will hear your case and that judge determines if you're guilty or not guilty.

Did you invoke your right to a lawyer or did you fill out a statement? You should most definitely get a lawyer.
I have been barred from base for 30 days. As what I've been told yesterday. If I go on anytime sooner, it's another charge for trespassing. I was told since I am a civilian, my service member won't have any notification, other than finding the letter in the mail.

I have been barred from base for 30 days. As what I've been told yesterday. If I go on anytime sooner, it's another charge for trespassing. I was told since I am a civilian, my service member won't have any notification, other than finding the letter in the mail.

Bullshit. I used to be in the S2 section and I would see letters come in with the derog info that were about soldier's spouses being banned from base and there commander would get one too. You better believe your soldier's command will find out either by a letter OR that soldier better be telling them. If I found out one of my soldier's dependents were banned from base and it wasn't from my soldier...ooh.

Bullshit. I used to be in the S2 section and I would see letters come in with the derog info that were about soldier's spouses being banned from base and there commander would get one too. You better believe your soldier's command will find out either by a letter OR that soldier better be telling them. If I found out one of my soldier's dependents were banned from base and it wasn't from my soldier...ooh.
Okay thank you. I'm not sure if it differs from base exchanges but this was at the nex. So my service member happens to be a sailor

Okay thank you. I'm not sure if it differs from base exchanges but this was at the nex. So my service member happens to be a sailor

I'm pretty sure it's pretty much similar everywhere. Perhaps you should stop stealing crap - especially from on base. Unless you wanna screw his/her career.

I'm pretty sure it's pretty much similar everywhere. Perhaps you should stop stealing crap - especially from on base. Unless you wanna screw his/her career.
I would think so too. As to why I asked online, when I asked them at, LP, they told me he wouldn't be informed. I was told the commander in chief at San Diego would know. Although my service member isn't stationed there. I just wanted to clarify.
I definitely want to face my consequences as this was a huge mistake that I've done.

I would think so too. As to why I asked online, when I asked them at, LP, they told me he wouldn't be informed. I was told the commander in chief at San Diego would know. Although my service member isn't stationed there. I just wanted to clarify.
I definitely want to face my consequences as this was a huge mistake that I've done.

When you appear before the magistrate, you can talk to the US Attorney, who often happens to be a JAG Officer serving as AUSA.

Ask him or her if you qualify for diversionary programs.
If you do, you'll be adjudged guilty, pay a fine (not too large), do 40 to 80 hours of community service, get probation for 60 to 90 days, and if you stay straight, the charge will be dismissed from your record.

So, make sure you ask about "diversionary sentencing programs".

Good luck....

When you appear before the magistrate, you can talk to the US Attorney, who often happens to be a JAG Officer serving as AUSA.

Ask him or her if you qualify for diversionary programs.
If you do, you'll be adjudged guilty, pay a fine (not too large), do 40 to 80 hours of community service, get probation for 60 to 90 days, and if you stay straight, the charge will be dismissed from your record.

So, make sure you ask about "diversionary sentencing programs".

Good luck....
Thank you.

Hi,
I was wondering how the process went for your wife's court day & what came to follow it.
I recently got charged with shoplifting on base as well & am wondering what am I to expect. My anxiety is driving me through the roof.

Keep your comments in this thread.
Thank you, One of the Site Admins/Mods

Im caught shoplifting earlier. Im a dependent and my husband is in Navy. Im a civilian with a greencars holder. I got caught in a cctv and they put me in a room. They said i have to pay for the 200$ and they gave me a USDX viilation notice. i should get a mail when to go to court. I dont know what will happen to me. This is my first time and its the biggest mistake ive ever done.

Once again start your own thread dont hijack an old one

Thank you.

Hi,
I was wondering how the process went for your wife's court day & what came to follow it.
I recently got charged with shoplifting on base as well & am wondering what am I to expect. My anxiety is driving me through the roof.

Thank you.

Hi,

Hi,
I'm seeking legal advice as to what am I to expect. I was caught shoplifting ($17.00 worth) & was told to sign a civil paper where I am going to pay $200 & a DoD saw me & he had me sign a citation stating that I'm going to see a judge in federal court. Explaining that what had happened is a federal offense as it was done on base. What is to happen now? What are the next steps I should do?
How did thing go after court I'm interested because I'm in the same situation right now. Yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back