Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting Nightmare Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanine05

:(
Hello. I was caught shoplifting about $12 worth of make up from walmart 3 weeks ago. When i was caught the police were NOT called. I was taken to a back room with the stores loss prevention where they recovered the merchandise, got all my info, took my picture and of the merch (i think for their records, they banned me from the store) and they told me that i would receive a letter in the mail requesting no less than $50 and no more than $500. I received the letter yesterday and it was for $200. I already sent the payment. My question is if anyone has been in a similar situation to me or knows what might happen from here. Will i go to court? I'm ashamed of what i did and scared Please help.

If the police were not called, and you haven't gotten arrested yet, then it seems you were not charged with a crime and can consider yourself lucky. How old are you? And are there any other reasons they wouldn't have called the police? Because their policy is to prosecute everyone. You have only been given civil demand, which has nothing to do with the criminal courts. If you don't pay, they can take you to civil court. If you do pay, it would also be evidence of guilt, but I don't think they'd go through the trouble of prosecuting you after that. If they wanted to, they would have done it at the time you were caught. I would just pay it and consider myself a lucky one, but you can look for a lawyer who will consult you for free, to ask if there is a possibility they will do something to you.

:eek:
I am 21yrs old. I don't know why the police were not involved. I paid the civil demand the day i received it so that should solve the civil part. I'm just curious to know if i will have to go to court if i will receive a summons in the mail. The stores loss prevention never mentioned receiving one. Is this uncommon?

It is uncommon because Wal-mart has a policy to prosecute everyone. Loss prevention officers make exceptions, for example if you are mentally retarded, too young, or too old. Loss prevention also does not like to prosecute after you have left custody. They usually wait until the polic show up, or at least call the police while you are in custody.

Jeanine05 said:
:(
Hello. I was caught shoplifting about $12 worth of make up from walmart 3 weeks ago. When i was caught the police were NOT called. I was taken to a back room with the stores loss prevention where they recovered the merchandise, got all my info, took my picture and of the merch (i think for their records, they banned me from the store) and they told me that i would receive a letter in the mail requesting no less than $50 and no more than $500. I received the letter yesterday and it was for $200. I already sent the payment. My question is if anyone has been in a similar situation to me or knows what might happen from here. Will i go to court? I'm ashamed of what i did and scared Please help.

If they didn't call to the police, dont worry, because the police can give to you a ticket with appointmet to go to the court. That is what happen last week with me.

Hello

Hello. I was caught shoplifting about $269 worth of Clothing from Macys 2 weeks ago. The security of Macys called to the police were . I was taken to a back room with the stores loss prevention where they recovered the merchandise, got all my info, took my picture and of the merch . After that I went with the Police to de Los Angeles Police Department to took picture and fingerprints., and they give to me a ticket to appear in Court in 2 weeks. My questions is if I have to go with a private Lawyer, or I can used the lawyer from de Court. This is my first time, I have no record before, I'm ashamed of what i did and scared Please help.

Milka said:
Hello. I was caught shoplifting about $269 worth of Clothing from Macys 2 weeks ago. The security of Macys called to the police were . I was taken to a back room with the stores loss prevention where they recovered the merchandise, got all my info, took my picture and of the merch . After that I went with the Police to de Los Angeles Police Department to took picture and fingerprints., and they give to me a ticket to appear in Court in 2 weeks. My questions is if I have to go with a private Lawyer, or I can used the lawyer from de Court. This is my first time, I have no record before, I'm ashamed of what i did and scared Please help. Please give me an advice. thanks

Naetnalta said:
It is uncommon because Wal-mart has a policy to prosecute everyone. Loss prevention officers make exceptions, for example if you are mentally retarded, too young, or too old. Loss prevention also does not like to prosecute after you have left custody. They usually wait until the polic show up, or at least call the police while you are in custody.

Have you been in a similar situation? If yes what happened to you?

My trial will be on August 29. My lawyer went to my arraignment without me to plead not guilty. Hopefully, I will get pre-trial diversion since it is my first and only crime.

shoplifting nightmare

dear jeanine,
I read your original thread you posted in July. Yesterday the exact same situation happened to me at a NY walmart. What happened after you payed the civil demand? How much was it? Thanks

ligems said:
dear jeanine,
I read your original thread you posted in July. Yesterday the exact same situation happened to me at a NY walmart. What happened after you payed the civil demand? How much was it? Thanks

3 weeks after it happened i got the civil demand and it was for $200. (The amount i was caught with was less than $20) And i have not heard anything from wal-mart or the court since then.

shoplifting nightmare

Thanks for responding. I, too was stopped with an under $20 item. I pray that I only will have to pay the demand and no other criminal or court action will be taken.

petty theft

hi, i am 17 years old and i was caught stealing some stuff at walmart total came out about 95 dollars and police were called and got my information and told me that i have to go court. i didnt actually steal but price switching and i was with a friend and we paid separatly and all i did was pay and she was the one that did the price switching. i was wondering what happens next and how much charges will be. Also my parents are out of town and will my brother be able to go with my to court he is 25 years old? i live in california. i am very ashamed of what i did

julery said:
hi, i am 17 years old and i was caught stealing some stuff at walmart total came out about 95 dollars and police were called and got my information and told me that i have to go court. i didnt actually steal but price switching and i was with a friend and we paid separatly and all i did was pay and she was the one that did the price switching. i was wondering what happens next and how much charges will be. Also my parents are out of town and will my brother be able to go with my to court he is 25 years old? i live in california. i am very ashamed of what i did

"price switching" is still considered theft. You are probably being charged with petty theft which is a misdemeanor. Since you are a minor they may offer you a diversion program and once completed it will not appear on your record. Otherwise, the most likely outcome is you will have to pay a fine, do some sort of community service and probation. Whether or not it would appear on your record, i am not sure but they'll probably tell you. Wal-Mart may also send a Civil demand in the mail (which is seperate from the court/ criminal proceedings) so be sure to pay it if it comes. Good luck.

help please

hey thanks JEANIE for the advice, but what about the parents part? do you know information about that?

What About?

Thanks Jeanine!! But I Was Wondering What About The Parents? Because My Parents Will Be Out Of Town? Also Can You Estimate How Much The Fine Charge Will Be?

julery said:
Thanks Jeanine!! But I Was Wondering What About The Parents? Because My Parents Will Be Out Of Town? Also Can You Estimate How Much The Fine Charge Will Be?

You can probably bring your brother since he is of legal age. Well, the civil demand from walmart (in california) can run anywhere from $50-$500. I don't know where you're from but its probably about the same.

Naetnalta said:
I meant August 30.
So my court date was set for the day after Hurricane Katrina hit. Since I can't live there for quite a while, and I haven't heard anything from the courthouse in Jefferson Parish, which is up and running, I don't know what's going on. If they rescheduled the court date, I don't know about it. Oh well, huh? :cool:

It'll be funny if they got their stores cleaned out by looters yet will still go after me for trying to take some food that they recovered anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back