Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting Nightmare Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I was caught shoplifting at a Famous-Barr. I really could've afforded the items, but I was bored out of my mind and mostly toying with the idea. But yeah, long story short, they caught me. I froze up and signed some documents. The one I received a copy of states that I have to pay a Civil Demand claim. The guy who asked me to follow him asked me if I had any questions, but I had a huge lump in my throat and barely said "No." I'm ready to pay this fee, because, well, I did deserve it. But I'm curious as to whether this will go on my permanent record or not. The fee I have to pay is $250, according to the man. I was not officially arrested, but they took my photograph and such... what happens next? Will I be okay if I pay the fine? Please help me, I'm really quite desperate and I'm terrified. I'm partially glad they caught me, but I'm very confused about whats going to happen. Many thanks!

Also, these were not store employees. The famous barr is attached to a mall and the Document I signed says that all questions after the receipt of the letter I will receive should be directed to the Law Offices of Olonoff, Asen & Serebro, LLP.

Le Mepris said:
Hi I was caught shoplifting at a Famous-Barr. I really could've afforded the items, but I was bored out of my mind and mostly toying with the idea. But yeah, long story short, they caught me. I froze up and signed some documents. The one I received a copy of states that I have to pay a Civil Demand claim. The guy who asked me to follow him asked me if I had any questions, but I had a huge lump in my throat and barely said "No." I'm ready to pay this fee, because, well, I did deserve it. But I'm curious as to whether this will go on my permanent record or not. The fee I have to pay is $250, according to the man. I was not officially arrested, but they took my photograph and such... what happens next? Will I be okay if I pay the fine? Please help me, I'm really quite desperate and I'm terrified. I'm partially glad they caught me, but I'm very confused about whats going to happen. Many thanks!

Also, these were not store employees. The famous barr is attached to a mall and the Document I signed says that all questions after the receipt of the letter I will receive should be directed to the Law Offices of Olonoff, Asen & Serebro, LLP.

Were the police present? It doesn't sound as if you were arrested, just that they got your information and are sending you a civil demand. Did they mention anything about a court date? If they didn't - and you weren't arrested- then it is possible that if you pay the civil demand it will be the end of it.

No the police wasn't present. They said Famous-Barr could take me to court for $1,000, if I don't pay the $250, but that was that! Phew.... I hope.

Le Mepris said:
No the police wasn't present. They said Famous-Barr could take me to court for $1,000, if I don't pay the $250, but that was that! Phew.... I hope.

They could take you to court if you don't pay the civil demand but it would be a civil case, which is seperate from the criminal part of it. But since the police weren't present and you didn't get a citation or anything i think you may be in the clear. Just be sure to pay the demand when it comes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back