Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuckusAZ

Today I made the stupid decision to shoplift from Walmart. I got stopped by asset protection when I was walking out with 26$ item. They took me into a small room. I didn't try to run or make an excuse. I gave them their stuff back and they filed a report in the Walmart database. They then callled the cops and prosecuted me. The cops said I will get a letter in the mail with a court date. I am a minor (16). Walmart says they don't prosecute minors. What should I expect from the police? Will I be in serious trouble? How can I keep this off my record? Thanks for your help.

They asked me if I wanted to be released by my parents or the cops. I said parents but they still ended up calling the cops. They know and even if they didn't I would still tell them. I know walmart is going to ask for fines but I'm interested to know what the cops are going to do. Will they send me to court? What will happen if I do go to court? What kind of punishments will I be given by the courts? This is the first time I've been sent to court if they do send me.
Thanks guys.

Were you worried when you plotted your heist?
Why worry now?
Ain't it cool to be a REAL thief?
You sure showed everyonehowcool you are, dude!
What's your next heist, a gas station, drugstore, a grocery store?

It is unlikely you will ever go to court. If you had received a citation then maybe.... but a letter to parents demanding payment, which they can probably ignore, will likely be the end of it.

Well I got my court papers today. Can't believe they actually followed through. Says I got an M1? Is that a misdemeanor class 1? What should I know about when going into court and talking to the assigned probation officer and such? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Well you will go to court after all... don't sweat it. This is more of your parents problem than it is yours at this point. Show up and ask for an attorney. Things will likely get handled quickly and you will find yourself on probation, parents fork over some money, and maybe you will have to work some community service hours or something. Keep yourself out of trouble and this may never result in a conviction.
I say this all with the assumption that you do not already have a juvenile record. If you have been busted before then don't expect the slap on the hand.
Honestly, there is nothing for you to do other than consult with your parents. They are the ones responsible for handling this.

I have no past record. They are sending me to "Teen Court"? Not quite sure what this is. Also I am eligible for a diversion program if I write a confession pleading guilty. Should I do that? Also do I need a lawyer for "Teen Court"? Also if this is a class 1 misdemeanor why is it class one? Isn't that the worst misdemeanor?

Teen court is a slap on the hand. It is the lowest level this could be handled without outright dismissing it. There also will not likely be an opportunity for an attorney, and in such case one is not really necessary because the writing is on the wall- you will not come out of this with a record.
You can certainly be punished though, and failure to comply with the terms of your punishment could bring you back to court at a later time for something more formal.
No, a misdemeanor is not the worst level of crime. Your petty theft will likely be handled as a simple infraction, like a traffic ticket.
Again, let your parents worry about this. They will be required to appear with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back