Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifted a pencil. Anything I can do?

student4938

Jurisdiction
Oregon
Hi everyone,

I was in my university's bookstore, I needed a pencil for some design class, and I put it in my pocket and left. I was stopped, the event was filed with the school and the police. It was noted repeatedly that I was very cooperative. I paid a $100 dollar fine + the retail price of the pencil (<$3). I didn't deny anything since they had store security footage. I am 19 years old.
I have a court date in a month. The officer made it sound like I would most likely get a class C misdemeanor and whatever punishment was deemed necessary. Is there ANY way that I can keep this off my criminal record? I'm a 4.0 student, involved in tons of extracurriculars, I volunteer in the community, I've never done anything like this before (clean record), and never plan to again. I would do 1000 hours of community service or whatever it takes. I just feel like if this goes on my record-even if I explain to potential future employers that it was just a stupid mistake (and just a single pencil)-it will severely impact the rest of my life. Please give me any possible advice for the court date.
Note: So far I have not told anyone a reason for the theft, I've just said that "I wasn't thinking". There was technically a very long line at the bookstore, and I did have somewhere I needed to be. Would it be better to state this reason (at the court date)? Or would it be detrimental/seem devious at this point, since I didn't previously volunteer that information?

Thank you all so much for everything.

Yes, you have an excellent chance of keeping this off your record.
If you appear in court you don't want to say or explain much of anything.
Since you already coughed up the $100 and paid for the pencil you might get lucky and have the whole thing disappear, but do yourself a favor and visit a local defense attorney who can help you to make this disappear.
This is a big nothing case nobody will want to spend any time on, including the prosecutor.

And may I say that a very long line at the register is a very good reason for coming back later to buy your pencil. It is not, never was, and never will be an acceptable reason for stealing it.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Do as Might Moose suggested talk to some local Attorneys (many will grant free office visit) and get some advice. If DA does follow through with charges when you go to court plead NOT guilty and hire or request Public defender. When you meet this Lawyer ask them about options like ACD or Diversion to keep a conviction off your record.

For what it's worth, in my area this would be handled as a simple infraction rather than a misdemeanor because of the low value of the theft.
If you are lucky yours may be handled in a similar way. In that case it is the equivalent of a traffic ticket and there is no criminal record.
Still, it seems there is an excellent chance you could make this disappear entirely.

I'm now regretting talking to the police officer at all. Since I did tell him what happened honestly (they had security footage, like I said), is it even possible for an attorney to get it dismissed?

Must you post the same thing word for word in every forum?

You received answers to this in posts above. Take the time and read the responses.

Back