Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shop lifting

Msmillerx4

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,
First time offense. Grand theft$330. I go to court 03/21/17. There is another person as well. They are the master mind. But moving forward what do you think I should plead? How do I find out before I plea what the best option is for me? How do I find out what the state is offering for each plea? I do not have money for a lawyer. Please advise

Hello,
First time offense. Grand theft$330. I go to court 03/21/17.

Search this site (and others) to read about others caught in a plight similar to yours.

How do I find out before I plea what the best option is for me? How do I find out what the state is offering for each plea? I do not have money for a lawyer. Please advise

I suggest you begin with this very simple premise: Every criminal defendant is INNOCENT until (and unless) the state proves its case, or the defendant PLEADS guilty.

From this point forward it would be more foolish that stealing in the first place to comment on your case, discuss your case, contact the co-defendant in any shape, manner or form, explain the case, or do anything OTHER than to REMAIN silent, which is your right.

When you appear in court you plead NOT guilty, and respectfully ask the judge if you qualify for a lawyer.

If you do, or if you don't, ONLY speak about this case with your lawyer.

While this case is pending, be smart and don't break ANY of THEIR laws.

They tend to become VERY AGITATED when anyone breaks their laws!!!!

The store has cameras that recorded everything. So should I still plead not guilty? I am 38 years old.

I suggest you reread my post, absorbing slowly each and every word I wrote.

I have been (and remain) a licensed lawyer in several states, as well as admitted to practice before the federal bar.

I served 30 plus years in the US Army, 26 of those years as a defense lawyer, prosecutor, and judge.

Once more, it would be more foolish than committing ANY crime to walk into ANY court and plead guilty.

Our constitution requires we have the RIGHT to remain silent, not implicate ourselves, to be PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and to confront our accuser(s) in order to cross-examine their witness against us.

A camera is unable to be cross-examined.
A loss prevention agent can be cross-examined.

Again, you are FREE to do anything you decide to do.

However, I would never tell anyone to plead guilty.

Its your right to stand MUTE, upon which stand the court will simply enter a NOT GUIULTY plea on your behalf.

Or, you can save yourself some grief, and avail yourself of one more of your rights and loudly, proudly declare to the world, "I am NOT GUILTY, Your Honor."

That plea, ma'am, is reinforced by our constitution which swaddles every criminal defendant in a blanket of innocence.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Plead NOT guilty and request Public defender. Are you sure charge is "Grand theft"? That seems to be a felony charge which changes a lot!

Any amount over 300$ is considered a 3rd degree felony

If you qualify for a lawyer, you'll get a public defender to represent you.
It is IMPERATIVE you ask the judge if you qualify for a public defender, or how do you qualify for a public defender.

Since you cannot afford a lawyer - definitely when you go to court, plead not guilty & ask for a public defender (a PD is a lawyer). You can then discuss your options with your PD.

Back