Sharing Inheritance With Relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestial

Sixty years ago my grandpa bought vacation property. He offered one lot each to his two adult daughters. One daughter took the lot and the other (my Mother) declined as she was leaving the area with her soldier husband. My grandfather built a small vacation home on a lot adjoining the lot his one daughter claimed and sold all the remaining lots.

My Grandfather's will left the vacation home to both his daughters. When the eldest daughter died, her two sons inherited the lot she owned, via her Father's gift. My Mother then became sole owner of the vacation home, per her Father's will.

My Aunt's two sons want to share in the use and preferably ownership of the vacation home. They claim they cannot build a vacation home on their lot; it's in a flood plain. They suggested setting up a trust that combined ownership of the two properties. My Mother declined.

Upon my Mother's death do I legally or ethically have to allow them use of the vacation property or share in the sale proceeds? The lot they own is worth about half of the cost of my Mother's vacation home and lot. However, were it not for my sole and considerable maintenance work and upkeep of the home over the past 15 years it would be in a heap on the forest floor. They have contributed very little in the way of labor to maintain the property; and have only contributed financially by paying the annual property taxes. My Mother is leaving all decisions about the vacation home and property to me.

What is right? What is fair? Do they have any legal recourse if I decide to sell the property or forbid their use of the vacation home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back