Other Criminal Procedure sexual assault texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizwaring8

I want to file sexual assault charges for a sexual assault that occured in nacogdoches texas in 1999.
I have read that the statute of limitations for rape in texas is 10 years.
How long do I have to file a civil suit for sexual assault?

If the statute of limitations for filing a criminal or civil charge has passed, can I file a lawsuit?

What I want to know is what are my legal options?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to file sexual assault charges for a sexual assault that occured in nacogdoches texas in 1999.
I have read that the statute of limitations for rape in texas is 10 years.
How long do I have to file a civil suit for sexual assault?

If the statute of limitations for filing a criminal or civil charge has passed, can I file a lawsuit?

What I want to know is what are my legal options?

Thanks
Liz

You can start by discussing the criminal matter with the District Attorney for Nacogdoches.

This is a link to her official webpage:

http://www.co.nacogdoches.tx.us/districtcourt/districtattorney.asp

As far as the civil matter, I suggest you discuss the matter with three or four local attorneys.
The initial meeting will be confidential and is often offered FREE of charge.
After you've done research you can then think about what you might do next.

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you. The experience must have been traumatic.

A civil attorney will probably want to wait and hear whether a prosecutor will take the case and do the discovery work. A crime should be reported to the police or district attorney's office regardless of the possibility of any success in civil court. I'm not going to come to any conclusions but I would think that the issue of the crime of rape should be more important than the civil remedies and money judgments. In criminal cases, it would appear that the crime of rape has no statute of limitations. Regarding the civil case, that's a different story.

Here is the Statute of Limitations - CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE - State of Texas and the crime of sexual assault in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back