Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Sex offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmae

My 16 year old son was charged with "SEX OFFENSE SECOND DEGREE". The case was closed and they are not going to prosecute base on "NOLLE PROSEQUI". I just looked online and saw my son's case and his information. Since he was a minor, is it legal for them to make this public knowlegde? I mean, I just looked his name up on the local website and it was all there for everyone to view.

My 16 year old son was charged with "SEX OFFENSE SECOND DEGREE". The case was closed and they are not going to prosecute base on "NOLLE PROSEQUI". I just looked online and saw my son's case and his information. Since he was a minor, is it legal for them to make this public knowlegde? I mean, I just looked his name up on the local website and it was all there for everyone to view.

In Maryland, juvenile cases are heard by your district courts.

Records are sealed, but court proceedings are open to the public (in most cases).

Just because Junior is a minor doesn't mean that he was tried (or arraigned) before juvenile court.

From what you posted it sounds as if Junior was being pursued in adult court.

Ask your lawyer, or the prosecutor about this.

Review the documents that Junior was issued in this matter.

Your answer may be right in front of your nose?

We don't have enough information to providea proper answer.

Thank you so very much. Acutally, I was told that they charged him as an adult but, they should not have. They had issued a warrant but never came to pick him up. I had a friend who worked for the court who informed me there was a warrant. The whole procedure was done rather strange to me. They interviewed my four year old without me being present about the "incident". They released him to me on his own recognizances and told me that I would receive notification in the mail. Didn't hear from them until I got a letter in the mail nearly three weeks later that they were closing the case. Besides the letter and form that said he was released, these were the only two documents we received. The warrant was issued days after we were at the police station. Is there a statute of limitations on the "NOLLE PROSEQUI"? Can they come back later and decide to prosecute the case?

Thank you so very much. Acutally, I was told that they charged him as an adult but, they should not have. They had issued a warrant but never came to pick him up. I had a friend who worked for the court who informed me there was a warrant. The whole procedure was done rather strange to me. They interviewed my four year old without me being present about the "incident". They released him to me on his own recognizances and told me that I would receive notification in the mail. Didn't hear from them until I got a letter in the mail nearly three weeks later that they were closing the case. Besides the letter and form that said he was released, these were the only two documents we received. The warrant was issued days after we were at the police station. Is there a statute of limitations on the "NOLLE PROSEQUI"? Can they come back later and decide to prosecute the case?

The SOL would not be on the "nolle", but run against the crime charged.

If he had been accused of murder, there would be no SOL.

Not knowing what the sex crime charged was, I can't tell you about the particular SOL.

As Moose has said, generally if a case is "noll'ed", it rarely gets charged again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back