Setting up a U.S. Branch for Foreign Company with one employee

A Ear

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi
I have a green card and a company aboard contacted me as they want me to represents them in the US.
It is my understanding they will have to open a local company in the US which I will be the only employee - (at least at the start) . I won't be the owner of that company.

1. my questions are
will I be considered self employed in this setup ?
2. Is there a better setup which will allow me to get a paycheck and health insurance from the company itself ( as self-empoyes I will have to do it by myself) ?

What do you think?

@Ketdini
No Scam - real question.

Your question is real.
The person or people asking you to inquire about creating a US based corporation are likely a scam.
Its extremely unusual, and most of the time a SCAM, when an offshore operation asks a resident or citizen of another country to set up a corporate entity to allow said offshore person(s) to do business in the USA.

I suggest you further contact with those people.

Its quite believable they are planning to use, abuse, or SCAM you to do ILLEGAL activites in the US.

When the truth is revealed, you'll end up owing lots of money to others.

They will soon ask you to provide them with YOUR bank account details.

Walk away from these crooks, OP, no RUN away, fast!!!

thanks for the clarification and your concerns . However, this is not a scam. I know those people and their business.
They are working with their own lawyer for setting up the company entity. I am looking for another opinion.

Since they have a lawyer, you might want to get your own lawyer you can ask questions to.

thanks for the clarification and your concerns . However, this is not a scam. I know those people and their business.
They are working with their own lawyer for setting up the company entity. I am looking for another opinion.

Oh, they have their own lawyer. Well, there's nothing to worry about then. You know the fine people. The fine people have hired a fine lawyer who will protect the fine people and you. Yeah, that seems "legit".

1.) If this is real and not a scam, no. You will not be considered self-employed. You will be employed by them.

2.) Since you will not be considered self-employed unless this is a scam of some sort, this question is moot.

If they are telling you that you will be considered self-employed, then run like the wind.

Back