Service of Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyN

I am a landlord. My agreement says "Service of notice on landlords - A written notice from tenant to landlord is deemed served on the day it is both mailed by first class mail to landlord and also attached securely to the following location ______".

Can I ask the tenant to attach notice to a premises but mail the notice to my PO box address?

A neighbor of my rental unit has allowed me to use his place for my tenant to post notices. However, I use a post office address for the tenant to mail rents and notices because I don't want him to know where I live. Thank you.

I am a landlord. My agreement says "Service of notice on landlords - A written notice from tenant to landlord is deemed served on the day it is both mailed by first class mail to landlord and also attached securely to the following location ______".

Can I ask the tenant to attach notice to a premises but mail the notice to my PO box address?

A neighbor of my rental unit has allowed me to use his place for my tenant to post notices. However, I use a post office address for the tenant to mail rents and notices because I don't want him to know where I live. Thank you.

You should provide a physical location for postings.
If you don't, it might cause you to lose a lawsuit, unnecessarily.
I suppose you could authorize a tenant to accept "tackings" as your agent.
As long as you provide a physical address and appoint a responsible person to act as your agent, you should be okay.

I have a physical location for postings but can my mailing be different than the posting location? (i.e. PO box for mailing but street address for posting). Thank you.

While your contract may define what notice is "deemed" to be, state law law will prevail regardless. So long as one form of written notice is provided, whichever of the two options are chosen, then your tenant is likely to be in the clear. You would probably have less of a headache over this matter if you just gave one specific location so that there is never any confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back