senior nursing student denied last class/grad

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_johnson

Hi- I am a nursing student on my next to last class before graduation. During the program orientation I went to the director of the program and informed her that I have a prior conviction of aggravated assault from 1998. I was told by the director " dont worry, its fine you will be ok" with that I started a four year program. Each year I turned in my criminal clearances with the charge listed. This had to be turned in annually as part of school protocol, same charge showed up every year and I was permitted to go through every class and clinical. I am now at my next to last class OB/Pediatrics in which four weekend rotation must be completed. I just recevied a phone call from the school stating that the pediatric hospital legal department has denied me access to the clinical unit and that I am therefore unable to complete my rotation. I was then told that without that rotation I am ineligible to graduate- complete the program and for me to no longer attend class. I do not know what to do, these classes are not transferrable as they are core nrsg which are specific to the school. I can not believe I wasted four years and I have a lot riding on this. I already commited to a nursing job in my department upon completion , I'm terrified to tell my employer that I cant take the position as they do not know about the charge and I will be fired

You need to talk to your department head about this and that is because the school can provide you with legal assistance. Tell him/her exactly what you just posted here and then take it from there. Good luck to you!

thanks for your reply- I did meet with the director, and was told that my issue is with the pediatric legal department of the hospital and not with the school.

Ask the director to consult with your school's legal department to see what other options you will have to be able to attend the course you need to graduate.

The school should have been upfront with you when it came on how your criminal record would catch up with you and how it would hinder your ability to find job opportunities in the field you are in. Consult with an attorney to see what your legal options will be against the school.

The school states my oly recourse is to appeal to the pediatric hospital, they said this is due to recent passed new legislation and that prior to this they have permitted students with comparable records to attend. What are my chances with appealing to the hospital?

It is a toss up. You can show the hospital that you have been clear when it comes to your criminal record (no new offenses) but the hospital still can refuse your admission. Make a compelling case by providing them with professional and personal reference letters but, again, it will be up to them to make the decision if it is worth making the exception. Good luck to you!

Some institutions will weigh in the cost/benefit of such decision - i.e. if we make this exception, are we opening the gates to other exceptions and that sort of thing. I am sure your case will be worthy since you can show them how far you have come along and how much you have invested in yourself to turn a negative into a positive and what is on the line if it doesn't happen. Best wishes and lots of good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back