Selling property next to family that are hindering sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyle670

I'm going to keep this as straightforward and simple as I can. Sorry if I delve into too many specifics.

My brother and I, along with 2 other cousins, were given property by our grandmother. My 2 other cousins that were under 18 at the time were represented by their father(our uncle). We butted heads over the entire process, choosing surveyors, who wanted what piece, waiting for them to pay the surveyors. The property was laid out in a way that a right of way needed to written in to all 4 deeds so that all 4 parcels had access. Although we butted heads, we got this part done and in our own names.

Next my brother and I started discussing with my uncle, paying for the driveway that would be put in the right of way for all 4 parcels. We said that my brother and I would put the driveway in with the understanding that when his kids build, they would help defer some of the cost we put forth for the driveway. The total driveway cost was $22,000. So when each of my cousins built they would pay their share of the $11,000. Well my uncle felt that we should have to pay for the entire driveway. I talked to a lawyer to see if we put the driveway on my brother and my properties, if we would have control over it. He said yes. So we had the driveway put on our properties instead of in the right of way. No big, deal, they can pay for their own driveway.

Soon after our driveway was put in, it was tore up with atv's, then my aunt painted a message on the barn bordering our driveway, and then our road sign was ripped out of the ground. We didn't have evidence on who did it but we're sure we could make a pretty good guess. My brother and I were fed up, so we decided to sell the property. The realty sign went up and that night, my cousins piled a bunch of garbage, metal and a posted sign in what was supposed to be the right of way. Then on the following weekend, our road sign(with the road name on it) was stolen. The next day, my aunt put up a sign that was directed towards my father of "what would dad think?"(meaning my grandfather). A few days later our realtor received an anonymous email saying "This property will never sell....it's "family" land- if they were real family they wouldn't be trying to sell and would have just build there..." and we assume that it is our aunt(the same one that painted the barn and put up the sign) because she put Shaver in the last name for the contact information.

At this point we don't want to be petty, we filed reports with the Sheriff's but we just want this property sold. I don't think there is anything we can do to stop them from preventing us from selling the property. But any help would be appreciated. I assume we can have an attorney send a letter saying they have to clean up the garbage out of the right of way but i'm not sure if there is anything else we can do. I am nearing the point of buying a digital camera that I can set up to take pictures of anyone stealing our road sign again, once it is replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back